Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Happiness = My Dog

Today was a rough day.
The school year is in full-swing, and I'm sure that you know this, but in case you didn't...
Class sizes are HUGE! We're creeping up very, very close to 40 students per class.
I really love teaching, but some days are rough.
Today was one of those days...





Don't get me wrong...I love the sun,
But it makes classroom life a bit, well, challenging.
Oregon students know how to deal with the rain. 
Heck, they're experts at dealing with mud puddles and walking into sideways rain.
The problem is that the students are still in summer mode.
They see the beautiful sun and want to run, jump, and play with their friends. 
I don't blame them...that sure sounds like fun to me too.
The problem is that I'm in teaching mode. 
I want to help them discover, listen, discuss, and think.
They want to play. Sigh.

So...Today was challenging.
The sun was beaming into my classroom, beckoning the kids outside...
...it was a problem.
This was not the only challenge today, but just one more to add to the list.

All in all...it... was... rough.
But all of the little things that challenge me during my day,
                                                            drift away when I open my front door.

My Murphy is waiting for me.











He's been waiting all day and it shows.
Murphy may not know this, but I've been waiting to see him too.
(Though, I think he does know.)
We have a silly little routine the moment I get home.
I won't describe it, 'cause it's a little silly. 
Let's just say that it involves jumping, hugs, happy cries and even a little dancing around the kitchen.

Like I said...silly.
But I wouldn't change a thing.


After that...
Somehow the world makes sense again.
And our little dance of joy helps to take away any rough spots in my day.

Today I needed a little more Murphy hugs.


I watched him run around in the sun.  I smile and giggle at this silly, silly dog.

We play.
...and soon enough I'm ready to face the challenges that tomorrow will bring.
I will help my students discover, listen, discuss, and think.
But Mr. Sunshine...could you tone it down a little?
Don't go away completely,
               but can you wait until after my last English class?  Please?!
Fine...never mind.
Good thing Murphy listens to me...
...well, most of the time, even when Mr. Sunshine won't.

No comments:

Post a Comment