Sunday, October 19, 2014

Apple Pie Vegan Cupcakes


I was born loving apples.
Whenever I was asked if I wanted juice,

I would pick apple over orange.
Same thing when I had any choice with fruit...
if there was something with apples, then my decision was really easy because I was going with the apple dish.

I guess the apple doesn't really fall far from the tree,
because my dad loves anything with apples too.
Apple pie was a staple growing up for holidays
and it continues to be something that can be found at family gatherings.

So when I was thinking about what kind of cupcakes I wanted to make for a friends' baby shower, I thought back to what she loved to order from me as a comfort food.  Immediately I knew...apple pie.  She orders my Dutch Apple Pie when she needs a little hug from my oven to her tummy, so making apple pie cupcakes with dutch apple crumbles seemed the perfect thing to spoil her.
~Apple Butter~

Apple Pie Cupcakes
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 ½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup non-dairy milk (soy, rice, coconut, almond- whichever you prefer)
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 apple butter or cinnamon applesauce 
1 tsp. vanilla
2 Tbs. apple cider vinegar

Icing
2 cups powdered sugar
3 Tbs.  non-dairy milk 
1 tsp vanilla extract
water- add a tsp at a time until you get the consistency that you would like.

Dutch Crumbles
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup melted vegan margarine
1/4 cup flour
1 cup quick oats
-------Stir all the ingredients together and broil until crispy.
Directions 
1. To make Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350˚F.
2. Line 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners and lightly spray the liners with oil spray.  Or use my favorite baking cups.  I LOVE these! 
3. Whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in bowl. 
4. Stir in non-dairy milk, apple butter, oil, vinegar, and vanilla extract.
5. Mix well. 
6. Fill liners 2/3 full and bake 20-30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
7. Cool completely.
8. To make Icing: Beat all ingredients with electric mixer until smooth. 
Pipe onto cupcakes and sprinkle crumbles over the top. 

Let the cupcake icing set up a bit and then enjoy!

      2 comments:

      1. Does this make 24 cupcakes, Lori? They look awesome and I'm hoping to take them to our home group tomorrow night and it's quite the crowd :)

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Hi Sarah! Oh my goodness, I totally forgot to add that in there. This recipe is for about 12-14 regular sized cupcakes. I have always doubled this recipe, because I like to fill my baking cups up to the brim. Also, if you are using applesauce instead of apple butter, make sure you add a little spice to the mix. My apple butter has cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg, which make the cupcakes a lovely flavor....so I would add 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp cloves, and 1/4 tsp nutmeg to the batch. I hope that your home group loves them as much as my staff did at school. It received mouths full of "mmmm" and two thumbs up. :)

          Delete