Monday, February 16, 2015

Time Warp

Time moves very differently in a hospital.
We would think that it slows down,
but the weird thing is that it doesn't.
In fact, time seems to move in these swift batches.
It's very strange.
I feel like it's been a few minutes,
but as I watch his monitors and listen to the hustle in the hallway,
time jets by.

It's surprising
because I would have guessed that it would just crawl by,
but nope.
It's this weird time warp, 
where you wake up, drive to the hospital, 
get updates, then sit and listen....
Repeat the updates, 
the sitting, 
taking care of mom while she takes care of dad,
Drive home, exhausted, them hit repeat the next day.

That's the other thing that has been so shocking to me.
I'm exhausted!!!
It must be the emotional toil of it all.
I feel like I've built three fences, 
had parent conferences, 
and had a grueling day of clearing a yard of blackberry bushes...
all in ONE day...
EVERY DAY!
IT'S CRAZY! 
But it's not surprising.

My dad means the world to me,
so each breath tells me that's he's ok,
and his strength is inspiring.
He wants to get up and walk as often as they see fit.
He wants to heal.
He wants to keep his strength.

I guess that's the difference between my SuperDad and some others,
he's a fighter.
And though the cancer kryptonite might weaken him for a bit,
it won't take he down.
With the help 
soon he'll be back battling evil...
like moles, weeds, growing grass.
:)


Thank you to Dr. La Rochelle,
all of the awesome nurse and support staff at Good Samaritan Hospital
for taking such good care of my dad.
I really can't say enough good things about the nurses here.  
They are IN-CRED-IBLE people.
Your care helps us as we transition home and care for Dad 
without all of your expertise.
Good thing you are just a phone call away.
Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment