Sunday, February 1, 2015

February is for Dad


Sure,
people may think of February as Valentine's Day
and that is true too.
But for me, this February is all about my Dad.

You may know him,
you may not,
but what you must know is that
my Dad is the GREATEST!
You may think that yours is,
and I'm sure that he's awesome too,
but to me,
there's nothing better than my Dad.

My Dad is used a lot as an example of awesomeness
to my students.
In fact,
they probably feel like they know my family pretty well...
you see,
I brag about my family often.
You would too if you had family like mine.
Trust me,
you would.

It all comes back to love,
and my dad follows a simple rule...

He loves my mom.
It's the kind of love that is dreamed of
and displayed in one form or another in movies.
Hollywood must have framed it after my parents.

It is that love that moves my family and
draws people together.
It grows and bends to encompass everyone around.
It's a love that withstands and strengthens through trials.

February will be a trial for sure.
Love will sustain and move us all through.
That is the one thing I know for sure.

This month is about love,
in my family will we be joining around a man
that is half of the duo that showed my brother and I how to love.

My dad is usually the strength,
but this month, we will be his strength.

He is the one who fixes things,
others will fix and maintain things for him.

My dad is the hugger and healer of hearts,
we will hug,
surgeons and nurses will heal.

Yes...surgeons.
I don't like to talk about cancer.
It feels too real
when that word is said out loud or written.
But it is real.
My Dad has cancer,
and has for awhile.
Though if you saw him,
you wouldn't really know.
He's a rock.
A pillar of strength.
And it's that strength that gives us all confidence
that he will heal and make history with his recovery.

By the end of February,
my Dad will be cancer free
and on his way to living it up at car shows.
Telling his ridiculous jokes,
and my mom will be giggling at his side.
I can't wait.
I want to listen to those stupid jokes for the next 30+ years with the constant accompaniment of giggles.

So as you celebrate love,
please send some loving thoughts to my Dad.
We are going to need all that we can get.

May happiness and love be abundant in your life,
Lori and the Murph too.



Side note:
I will not be having a Valentine's Bake Sale this year.
The most important thing, of course, is my dad.
I may start taking orders again in March.
Hugs!

No comments:

Post a Comment