Sunday, April 19, 2015

Animals make better people.




Most of my best friends as a child were animals.

Shocked?
Surprised?
Stunned at this revelation? 
Nah, I didn't think so.


I think people are just born with this intense connections to animals.
Sure people can grow to love animals,
and want to make a difference in the lives of creatures.
But there's a different level of trust and understanding
that is innate in those of us born with this gift.
I had always thought that I was weird.
No one, not even my family understood my love of dogs.
Actually, I don't really fully understand it myself.
All I know is that I feel better when they're around.
Dogs make me more calm.
I feel like I'm fully myself with a dog by my side.
It's just the way that I was made.
Born that way.
Some people played with dolls as kids,
others like myself played with stuffed animals.
I would pretend that they were
an injured animal for me to heal,
students for me to teach,
and superheroes to save the day.
But even better, if you were lucky enough to have parents like mine,
they gave you the real thing.
















Animals make better people.
They just do.
Animals build compassion.
They build responsibility,
along with knowledge of cause and effect.
They help strengthen communication.
And ultimately,
animals teach about love and loss.
Having an animal die is a way to help children understand death
and that love never truly dies...
it lives in you heart forever.

Do you want to make better people?
ADOPT!
But only get a pet if you are ready for a lifetime commitment...
real animals are a 16+ commitment to love.

Here are some great places to look for a new family member.

Oregon Humane Society
1067 NE Columbia Blvd.
Portland, Oregon 97211
503-285-7722
Visiting Hours:
      Sunday-Wednesday 10 am-7pm
      Thursday-Saturday 10am-9pm




Herd U Needed A Home
Specializing in Herding Breeds
The rescue that my Mom's Daisy girl came from!
PO Box 9063
Bend, OR  97702

Woods Creek Pit Bull Rescue
Silverton, Oregon
woodscreekrescue@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment