Monday, June 16, 2014

Coconut Dream Cake- Vegan



No, you're not dreaming.
This cake is not only beautiful, but it's crazy delicious.
It's topped with toasted coconut...need I say more?
Seriously?
If you like coconut, then you will love this cake.
If you don't, well...that's really sad, because you're missing out.
There is something about toasting coconut that brings out all of the best components of the coconut.
One of the things that is distinct about this cake are the huge flakes of coconut...
like I stated, this cake is for those of us that dream about coconut.
I'm also very fortunate, because I live very close to Bob's Red Mill,
so I can get all of my ingredients from their a-maz-ing store.
And when I go there, I always load up on big chunky flakes of coconut.

This is my vegan version of the cake...
maybe I'll break out my secret recipe for the regular coconut butter cake...
but maybe not.  :) 

Cake
For a single layer 8" cake or two 6" cake layers.
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • ½ cup sugar
  • 1 ½ tsp. baking soda
  • ½ tsp. salt
  • ½ tsp. baking powder
  • 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
  • ½ cup canola oil
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 2-3 tsp. coconut extract (3 for those who really love coconut)
  • 2 Tbs. apple cider vinegar
Center Frosting- for a layered cake
I love this frosting, especially for such a strong flavor of cake.  It gives your taste buds a little break from the coconut, and I think that it helps to focus on the toasted coconut on top.
Filling recipe from Vegan with a Vengeance by Isa Chandra Moskowitz

  • 1/4 cup margarine
  • 1/4 cup shortening
  • 3/4 cup superfine or powdered sugar (I generally only have powdered sugar.)
  • 1/4 cup soy milk powder
  • 2 tsp vanilla 
 -For filling, mix well for at least ten minutes...you want this very light and fluffy.  Also, make it right before you fill the cakes.

Icing
  • 4-5 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 cup fine flaked coconut 
  • 1/2 cup vegan margarine
  • 1 tsp coconut extract
  • coconut milk- add a tablespoon at a time until you get the consistency that you want.
Topping:
Big flakes of coconut, toasted to perfection

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350˚F.
2. Prepare cake pans by spraying with vegetable spray and lined with parchment paper.
3. Whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in bowl.
4. Stir in coconut milk, oil, vinegar, and coconut extract.
5. Mix well.
6. Fill pans evenly and bake 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
7. Cool completely.
8. Make both of the frostings according to the directions above.
9. Layer, frost, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment