Friday, November 15, 2013

Vegan Espresso Chocolate Chip Cookies
















Espresso, it's a beautiful thing to smell in the morning.
I remember as a kid, knowing that morning was nearing
because the smell of coffee would be in the air.
Prepped the night before,
so that my dad could greet the day with a cup
already in his hand before his feet hit the ground.
In our house, coffee meant a new day.
A new start.
So when I was thinking about the next cookie to bake,
it was natural to look around my kitchen to see what
ingredients to make and see my canister of coffee.
Now, I'm not as picky as some, but I love my coffee.
It's like a warm hug in the morning.

Do you know what else is a hug?
Yep, you guessed it.
A cookie.
Cookies are love in my world.
If I give you cookies, I'm giving you a loving hug.
Can't you feel it?
So to me, blending coffee and cookies is a perfect pair.
And according to my taste-testers is a delicious pair too.
Vegan Espresso Chocolate Chip Cookies
Recipe adapted from my mom's cookie classic
Serves a hungry group of Fences for Fido Volunteers

Ingredients:
1/2 cup (1 stick) vegan butter
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg equivalent of Bob's Red Mill Egg Replacer
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 & 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 or 2 tsp of finely ground coffee or espresso
1 & 3/4 cups flour
1 cup semi-sweet vegan chocolate chips

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
  2. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
  3. Cream together all ingredients, except flour and chocolate chips.
  4. Add flour and mix well.
  5. Scoop cookie dough onto the lined cookie sheet. I use a medium-sized cookie scoop for perfect cookies.
  6. Bake cookies for 10-13 minutes.
  7. Let them cool for a couple minutes on the cookie sheet before transferring to a cooking rack.  Then take them to your favorite activity and share with your friends.  

This recipe is a slight adaptation of my mom's chocolate chip cookie.
It's fabulous just as it is, but with espresso it can be considered a breakfast food.
Cookies can always be breakfast. Right?!

No comments:

Post a Comment