Sunday, February 9, 2014

It was a BLAST!

I should apologize, because I think the snow is mostly my fault.
I know. I know.
It's not one person's fault, but I really, really wanted a snow day.
The problem was I forgot to mention that 
I just wanted one really awesome day...
Not an entire weekend!
Oh well, we didn't ask for it but we're so glad it's here!
At Murphy and I made the best of it.
In between baking cookies for Valentine's Day,
we played, 
and played, 
and played.
While heading out again for another round of frisbee fun, 
I heard a voice down the street.
It was a familiar sound...the type sound that I knew pretty well.
It was excitement and joy.
It was the sound of a kid, telling someone REALLY important things.
You see, the kid was talking nonstop. 
The dad was just listening, nodding, and encouraging the story
as they skied down the street.
All the way up and down the street the kid talked, and talked and talked.
Telling his dad all about something super important to this kids' world.
You see, as adults we sometimes forget that kids just want to be heard.
They want to tell us all about elements in their world.
The kid was smiling by the time he got to my house,
and I could see that he and his dad had been snowshoeing up and down the streets.
I imagine that the dad was a little reluctant to head out with his son, 
unsure if his kid could keep up and have fun.
But as soon as they got going, 
the dad knew that this adventure was going to be perfect.
It was just a kid and a his dad.
A simple memory being made...
I wondered if they knew that.
Maybe.
I'd say that is was just about perfect.

So if you're one of those people, but found the Arctic blast a little annoying, 
remember that for some kids this is their perfect time.
Time that they got to spend with their parents 
and undivided attention where other things weren't pulling them away.
To me sometimes I worry that families don't get enough time together,
with all of the distractions of technology and games and sports.
It seems like families are running around nonstop.
But on a snow day...
on a snow day, it's family time.
Time to go out and play.
Time together outside playing or just hanging out watching a movie. 
Sounds pretty perfect to me.

So thinking back,
I'm not sorry about praying for the snow.
In fact I'm pretty glad that it has lasting a few days.
It's a good reminder to spend time with those that you love. 
Murphy and I have no trouble with that.
Oh excuse me, I think let's play again.
Miss IO is here and ready to play.
See, this Artic Blast has been a blast for us...that's for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment