Friday, February 28, 2014

Get more potassium.


That was what my doctor said.
I've been low in potassium for a few years now. 
I know.
Eat a banana. 
Believe me, I try, but I don't like them.
A banana is the best, most convenient way to get the right amount daily potassium.  
But, it's a banana.
Sigh.
I love most fruit, but really don't like the texture of a banana.
Most of the time I find it either underripe or too ripe...either way it's gross.
But my doctor said that I have to, so I only have one solution...
Banana bread.
I love banana bread, so this could be an excellent solution to my deficiency. 


Banana Bread
Origin: unknown
(I've been using it for as long as I can remember.)
Servings: makes two 9x5 loaf pans

Ingredients:
1 cup sugar
2 eggs or 2 egg equivalent of Bob's Red Mill egg replacer
4-5 ripe bananas mashed
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon (or more)
2 cups flour

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Prepare two loaf pans by lining them with parchment paper and then set aside.
3. Blend sugar, eggs, and bananas together.
4. Add oil and vanilla- blend well.
5. Add soda, baking powder, salt and flour, then blend until smooth.
6. Pour into prepared pans.
7. Bake for 50 minutes or until you insert a toothpick into the center and it comes out clean.

Enjoy your boost of potassium! 
This is definitely way better than eating a banana 
and my doctor will be proud of me too.


1 comment: