Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Lessons from Grandma

 Happy 103rd Birthday to my Grandma Mary.
No, I'm not going to list 103 different pieces of advice.
Though I'm sure that if I really thought about it,
I could think of 103 things that my grandma Mary has told me about life.
But that's not going to happen.
Instead, I'm going to give you the top, most memorable advice.

5. Move.

A little every day.
Grandma was never one for formal exercise,
but she was always moving.
Whether it was gardening, walking her dog, or dancing around her living room, she moved.
Even at her birthday on Saturday, she refused to sit down very often because, "Honey.  I gotta keep moving and keep the circulation going."

4. Have a little snort.
Yes, Grandma says, "Drink a little."
Up until she turned 100 she would have a little bit of Brandy each day.
There must be something to that,
because doctors have also given that advice.
Thanks, Doctor Mary.

3. Vitamins.
Take them.
Take them all, everyday.
I actually don't know how many vitamins she takes on a daily basis.
It's a lot.
Handfuls.
I suggest starting out with a multi-vitamin and then add a vitamin every year of your life.
Then, by the time you're her age, you will be taking the same amount she does.


2. Apple Cider Vinegar is the elixir of life.
She drinks it everyday.
A tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with honey helps in digestion,
and is what she claims has helped her stay healthy all of these years.

1. Athletics:
And my favorite piece of advice...given to the guests at her 88th birthday while she was a little tipsy. :)
"Honey.
Let me tell you.
Never.
And I mean NEVER go bowling in a strapless bra.
As soon as you go to release the ball, WHOOPS!!
Your boobs pop right out of the top!"

Ha!
Thanks Grandma.
That advice has stayed with me all of these years.
And yes, I have followed that advice explicitly.

No comments:

Post a Comment