Sunday, May 25, 2014

Honor and Sacrifice

Honor:
-high respect; esteem,
-fulfill (an obligation) or keep (an agreement),
-regard with great respect.

Sacrifice:
-the thing so surrendered or devoted,
-a loss incurred in selling something below its value.
On Memorial Day, I know that my students are just looking forward to a 3-day weekend.  Some travel, some go camping, but few actually celebrate what the real meaning of this day is about.  I don't blame them...I'm confident that I felt the same at their age.  But today, it feels differently.
Life and experience teach you to appreciate those who honor our nation enough to sacrifice the most precious thing that they can, to protect us...themselves. My heart clenches as I type that.  To me, sacrifice is never written lightly.  Life has taught me that as well.  When I picture military personal, I don't picture nameless faces.  No, they are not nameless to me.  The faces look back at me as my grandpas, great uncles, uncles, friends, and former students.  Their faces in military uniforms coming home or leaving on a mission make my heart clench.  Sacrifice.  Most would choose not to sacrifice anything. But the men, women, and service animals that we honor on Memorial Day gave the ultimate sacrifice, their life.
So as you spend time with family and friends, please remember the reason that we have the day off.  Take a moment to honor and thank them for all that they have given.   

We can not help those who have died for us, but we can help those that continue to serve us and our country.To honor them, in my own way, here are a few of my favorite organizations and videos honoring Veterans.  Please consider making a donation or writing a letter to a soldier serving our country.

"War Dogs helps veterans better manage the invisible and lifelong challenges of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and brain injury (PTSD/TBI) by pairing them with dogs they help rescue and train to be their service dogs. The vets are saving the dogs lives. The dogs are saving theirs, creating a better life for both."
Post-Tramatic Stress Disorder is nothing to ignore.  Dogs are essential in helping humans cope and recover...this I know all too way.  Murphy wasn't trained professionally, but he was definitely trained by heart to help me. 

Support Military Working Dogs
Their Mission: "To provide cooling vests, and other protective gear such as Doggles, MuttLuks, and any other necessary to help the Military Working Dogs in active war zones and extreme conditions, who in turn protect and serve our Soldiers."
 Military dog saves her entire team
 


And because no post would be complete without shedding a few hundred happy tears.  So here is one of my favorite compilations to cry through.

No comments:

Post a Comment