Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Blueberry-Applesauce

It's been a very fortunate summer for me,
because people have been extremely generous with their homegrown produce. 
I've had crates of apples and pears, 
so I've been making applesauce and pear-sauce.
But I wondered what other flavors I could make...
Thank goodness for Pinterest,
because I had pinned many different versions. :)

I love the different ideas from The Yummy Life! 
Since I had been gifted blueberries too,
it was an easy decision...

Blueberry-Applesauce!
Modified recipe from The Yummy Life
http://www.theyummylife.com/recipes/338
Ingredients:
- 4 lbs. apples (use apples that are already sweet)
- 2 cups blueberries 
- 1/2 cup sugar (you can omit, but my apples were a bit too tart)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract 

Directions:
1. Combine all ingredients into a large stockpot.

2. Heat on medium height until the liquid begins to boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low. 
Stir every 15 minutes for about an hour.

3. Bring the apples/pears to a simmer and cook down until it has the correct "saucy" consistency. 
I use a potato masher to get the consistency that I like.

4. Canning: Fill sterilized pint jars to 1/2-inch headspace, 
then process in a water-bath canner for 25 minutes.
My house smells amazing and I just love hearing the pop, pop, pop of the jars sealing.  
Though this process took me all morning, the process was easy and the reward is great. 
 I can't wait to share these lovely jars with those I love.
Seriously! Look at the color!
Simple beauty. 
Happy Canning!






No comments:

Post a Comment