Thursday, January 1, 2015

Let's make an epidemic!

Joy and happiness can be contagious,
I hope to make it so contagious that it's an epidemic.
Can you imagine it?
I can.















I don't mean the fake kind of happiness or joy
that you see in the movies or in the mall.
The joyful tone that you know only comes
because of the potential commission that they'll get from your purchase.
You know...the happy face that makes you
wonder how many "upers" they are taking.
Yeah.
I'm not talking about that kind of happy.
That's definitely not a happy that lasts.
It's not a true happy.

What I'm talking about is the happy that lasts a lifetime.
It's Christmas morning, when you see your pony for the first time.
It's the happy of arriving back in the US after studying abroad in Spain, and seeing your family waiting for you.
It's the hug that engulfs you.
The embrace that smothers you,
in the best possible way.
The smothering that makes you want to
curl up and stay there watching a movie.
The happy that tells you that you are safe and loved.
Yep.
That's the happy I'm talking about.

Some people search their entire life for happiness.
They believe that it can be found in the perfect person.
When that doesn't work, they think that it must be in how much money they make.
Nope. Not there either.
Sadly, they are looking in the wrong direction!
They think that happiness can be found in other things...
that their joy will be achieved when they get something.
Those are nice thoughts,
but not true.

Happiness is not achieved when you get anything.
I find happiness when my hands are empty.
I'm happiest when I've given it all away.

I'm happy when I teach.
Do middle students give much praise for your creative teaching?
No, they don't.
But when I see them graduate from high school, then college...
When they have families, and their kids grow to be strong people,
I'm happy.

I'm happy when I volunteer.
My hands are dirty, but the hearts around me are clean.
They give with their time, energy, and a spirit to make the world better.
Do the families we help heap praise on us?
Nope.  Many don't want us there at all.
But I'm not there for them.
I can't control the actions of others.
I can make a difference in the quality of life for an animal.
Seeing the dog run free and safe is a tear-inducing happiness.

I'm happy when I create pies, cookies, or treats.
I know that with each one,
money can be given to charities that I respect.
For me, it's not about the money.
Yes, money is great.
Could I use more?
Sure, who couldn't!
But do I really need more?
No.
I don't.

When you look back on your year,
what is in your hands?
Are you holding on tight to external things?
A person? Money? Objects?
If I could give you one gift this new year,
I would give you the gift of empty hands.
I would pass to you the feelings that it's taken me 37 years to get to.
Contentment.
Joy.
and the best one yet...
Happiness.

Simple, yet profound.

Will you join me in spreading the epidemic of joy and happiness?
Once you catch it,
you never want it to go away.
And you'll never regret it.
That's my promise to you.
Cheers of love, joy, and never-ending happiness in 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment