Saturday, November 24, 2012

Advice from my Grandma-Part 1

 
There are certain things that I learned over the years from my Grandma.
And as she is getting older now...yes...
just now older at 101 years old...
...we're allowed to say that she is old since she's well over a 100 years old.
I feel like I should share this advice with the rest of the world.
There are only things that a woman who has seen it all can tell you
and you'll actually take it to heart.
I find that I commonly will smile and nod when someone gives me advice.
Somehow, I feel that it will appease them in a small way
so that I can go about making my own decisions. 
Silly me...I should always listen and listen carefully. 
It's really the little things that makes the difference in the world.
At least, that is true for my grandma...

#1 Nugget of Grandma Advice
Given to me every time I see her...every...single...time...
"Oh honey, you should wear earrings."   

Or it sounds like this conversation that we had on Thanksgiving...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Those earrings are pretty.  You should wear them everyday," exclaimed my Grandma while driving to dinner.
"But, Grandma, I can't wear these earrings everyday!  They don't match everything!" I remind her.
"Well, you should really wear earrings everyday," she stated firmly.
"I do try to put them on...I just forget sometimes."
"Oh, well you shouldn't forget. You're too young to forget things!" she exclaimed.
"Ok, Grandma.  I'll try," I replied sighing.
"You should wear earrings all the time."
"I know Grandma, you remind me all the time," I responded, giggling. (giggle, giggle)
"(giggle, giggle) Oh, I do?  Well, you should."
"I know Grandma."
"You should always wear earrings, they brighten up your whole face!" she stated as fact winking in my direction.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"They brighten up your whole face!" 
I don't even remember the first time that she told me that, but it feels like I've heard it my entire life.  And you know what really gets me? 
She's absolutely right!
Darn you Grandma! (I write this giggling and know that's it true.)
She's right...and you'll soon realize a few more things about how right she is.
Heck, after 101 years on this planet you tend to learn a few things.

To help me remember my earrings on a daily basis, I found this wire shelf at a garage sale...man, I love garage sales!  And it works perfectly to hold my dangly earrings, so that I can see them and remember to add them to my attire.

Cute, huh?
Now I just need to add to my dangly earring collection...
The best places to pick up inexpensive earrings are Forever 21, Old Navy, Target, and Tilly's.  The first three places you probably know about, but the last one...well, it might be new to you...Tilly's.  You should check it out.  And they often have a "Buy one, get one free" promotion!  Be warned though...if you are over 30...like me, you should probably take a teenager with you so you don't feel so strange walking into a "Surf and Skate Clothing Store."  Somehow, I don't fit their demographic...but I really like their cheep-o earrings!

Oh course...always remember to put on your earrings...
cheap-o ones are expensive ones...
If a 101 year old woman can remember her jewerly EVERY day, so can you. 
And most importantly...
"They brighten up your whole face!"
Cheers to you Grandma!

No comments:

Post a Comment