Thursday, November 22, 2012

Pie Solves All

No, really...it does! 
How can any problem be big when you have a slice of
homemade pie sitting in front of you?!
Especially if the pie is chocolate!
I generally believe that all problems can be solved with tasty treats.
And, yes...I feed my feelings.
I know that goes against everything that health experts say.
"Don't reward yourself with food."
"Food is fuel."
"Eat before you go to the store."
Blah...blah...blah...
Yeah, I could repeat a whole bunch of them, but I love treats!
Even better, I love to make treats!
Actually, when I'm baking treats, I don't want to eat treats. 
Weird, right?! 
So if I just make treats all of the time, then I won't eat them!
WooHoo!
Sounds good to me!
Hmmm...Somehow I feel that this idea will backfire on me.
Possibly in a big way...but with the holidays here and in full swing, I might as well embrace that idea and bake.  And that is exactly what I plan to do!

This week I continued my bake sale by making pie and cookie orders. 
Of course, I enlisted the person who taught me everything that I know about baking pies and cookies...my mom.  She's the queen of baking.
She was in charge of Pumpkin Pie...
...Beautifully done Momma!
Me, well I was in charge of making the family Apple Pies...a classic is our world.
Plus, I needed to make cookies and pie cupcakes...yikes!  I love to make my plate full.
Don't worry, I made 12 of them, but forgot to take a picture at the end. :0) Too busy, I guess.





But, I also needed to make a few Chocolate Cream Pies...
...the challenge was that I had never made a Chocolate Cream Pie!
Good thing that I have a slew of cookbooks to help me along the way.

When in a jam, I look to the classic books...they have never steered me wrong.  I mean they're a classic for a very good reason.





Velvety Chocolate Cream Pie
Graham Cracker Crust Recipe from The Back in the Day Bakery Cookbook~ 2012
Cream Pie Recipe from Hershey's Chocolate and Cocoa Cookbook~ circa 1970's?

Graham Cracker Crust Ingredients:
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/4 packed light brown sugar
1 stick butter- melted
Directions:
Preheat oven at 350 degrees.
  1. Mash the graham cracker crumbs and brown sugar together with a fork in a medium sized bowl.  Add the melted butter to the mixture and mix together until all of the crumbs are coated in buttery goodness.
  2. Press the mixture into a 9-inch pie plate and bake in the oven for 6-8 minutes. (Though in my oven, 6 minutes was plenty of time.)  Let it cool completely before filling with chocolate cream.
Velvety Chocolate Cream Pie
Ingredients:
1/3 cup Hershey's Cocoa
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups milk
3 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

Whipped cream for a topping.

Directions:
  1. Combine cocoa, sugar, cornstarch and salt into a medium saucepan. Add milk into the mixture and whisk until smooth.
  2. Over medium heat, cook and whisk until it comes to a boil.  Once the mixture begins to boil, it will begin to be thick at this point, continue to boil and whisk for 3 more minutes.
  3. Remove the chocolate mixture, whisk in butter and vanilla, continuing to whisk until all of the butter is melted.
  4. Pour the mixture into the graham cracker crust.  Let it rest for about 15 minutes, then carefully press plastic wrap directly onto the pie filling.
  5. Refrigerate for at least 3-4 hours.  Serve with freshly whipped cream and enjoy!
Now seriously...how can you have a problem with this pie in front of you?! And if a problem arises, heck have another piece of pie! Problem solved. :0)
Happy Problem-Free Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment