Monday, November 5, 2012

Tator Tot Casserole

Some days I just need tots.  They're little bits of crunchy potato rolled up into a ball of potato love.  And that's exactly what I needed today....and cheese...I need cheese too. And that's exactly what I'm going to make. :0)

As much as I love tator tots, I've actually never made a tator tot casserole.  So today is the day...I have tots and I have a recipe.  It's a perfect combination to hopefully a perfect casserole. (Crossing my fingers and tummy growling...)

Tator Tot Casserole
Recipe by Kathie Cooks

1lb. ground beef
small onion, chopped
1 can Cream Mushroom Soup
1/4 c. milk
1 c. sour cream
16 oz. pkg frozen mixed vegetables
3 c. shredded cheddar cheese (medium or sharp)
Tator Tots

Brown ground beef and drain. Saute onion until translucent. Mix. In bowl mix soup, milk, sour cream. Stir until well blended. In 9'x13' freezer/oven pan layer ingredients evenly as follows:

1. Ground beef/onion mixture.
2. Frozen Vegetables (break up any clumps of vegetables)
3. Soup/milk/sour cream mixture.
4. Cheddar cheese.
5. Top with layer of tater tots.

Cover with plastic wrap and then aluminum foil and freeze. Freezes about 6months.

To heat: Preheat oven to 350'. Bake UNCOVERED 35-45 minutes until tater tots are brown and casserole is bubbly.
Now that my house smells of yummy tator tot goodness, I'm ready to dive in!
This was a good recipe, but next time I plan to make it even better. 
The first thing that I would do is add a layer of potatoes at the bottom of the pan. 
I felt that it needed something on the bottom to soak up some of the liquid...it was a bit runny. 
The second thing is that I would add broccoli or cauliflower,
other than that, it has good flavor and was so easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment