Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Luck and Lucky











I'm lucky.
No, I didn't win the lottery, though that would be amazing.
No, I'm not good at winning things at all.
Through winning is fun, I don't need to win all the time.
Actually, I love watching other people win too.
The joy on their faces makes it worth the loss, well, sometimes.
And no, I didn't find a dog named lucky or have ever had a dog named lucky.
But I am lucky.
I don't have everything new...in fact,
I love the treasures that I've found at garage sales and items that were passed on to me.
I don't have a lot of money...but that wasn't a goal in my life.  I don't measure my success dollars or the purchases that I have made.  I measure my success in the people I am surrounded by.  
I like to think that I measured in people.
They are my tape measure of success.
And by all that I can tell, man, I'm a billionaire! 
Watch out Oprah...watch out Bill Gates!
I have billions of imaginary dollars in laughter, smiles, hugs, support, and friendship.
I don't need real billions...I'm happy right where I'm at.
See, I'm lucky.

I'm lucky that I have parents and family that cherish me, accept, give me unconditional love and support. My family is a gift. They truly are. Sometimes it's hard to remember this precious gift when they are annoying...especially growing up, but they are. Family sticks, when other things fall away.  Family picks you up, even when you can't look at yourself in the mirror. It's unconditional, remember? My family is all that and more...see, I'm so very lucky.

I'm lucky to have found friends that are beautiful on the outside, but man, if you could see your hearts...whoa! There's a reason that God had to place their hearts in the center of their bodies, because the shining, sparkling light that illuminates from them would be blinding.  Some I remember our meetings; at college orientation, walking through campus, or singing in the high school choir, while others just natural occur for what seems like no reason at all.  Friends like this are effortless. I'm lucky.
I'm lucky to work in a school that loves.  That's it...they love.  They love teaching, they love our crazy, zany, middle schoolers, and to learn. But mostly, they love each other. And though we don't always agree, we respect and love other to a compromise. See, how lucky is that?

I'm lucky to live in a place that loves animals like I do. People don't look at me weird when I talk about my dog...all the time. They understand that I feel pain when I see animals hurt.  They know that there must be a better way to treat them...but while knowing is great, action is even better.  I'm lucky that I don't have to feel like a weirdo animal person, because there's a whole group of amazing, beautiful, and hardworking people dedicated to making this world better.  Not better just for us human, but better for all creatures. Lucky.

I'm lucky list could continue for a long time...and eternity really. 

Sometimes I think about my luck in feathers on a wing. Strange,I know, but hang in there with me. I don't really find it lucky that these things are in my world...it's a gift and it's love...and it's two. Yes, TWO (or 3 or even 4) very hard working, dedicated, and strong guardian angels. I figure their names are Luck and Lucky. They've been working hard to keep me safe from 36 years now.  Sometimes the battles have been tough. They've lost some feathers in their wings, but they win and they keep me safe. They allow people in my life to provide the protection I need in human (& dog) form, while keeping the unforeseen things at bay. Someday I'll thank those guys in person. I figure that by the time I see them, they may be burnt, beat-up, bloody, and have a broken wing (or two), but they'll know that they too are cherished. They're loved.

See, not only have I got Luck, but I've got a Lucky too.
Cheers to 36!

1 comment: