Sunday, July 7, 2013

Filling My Summer Love Bucket


If you have the time, you must give it away.
That is the statement that floats around in my head, trying to stick to something.
And up until I've been content to fill my weekends with beautiful volunteering and I will continue to do the same.  But in addition to the weekends, I now have 5 additional weekend days to do some good in our community.  Though I plan to do as much as possible to heart the organization of my heart, Fences for Fido, I would like to spread my sparkle out a little more.

Since goals and lists help me stay focused, I have made my Summer Sparkle List. 
Is your favorite organization on the list?  Want to join me in the fun?  Please do!

1. Fences for Fido-

The truest form of pure love,
delivered every weekend to families all around the Northwest. 
Need I say more?
I love them and plan to help out even more...
it's an honor to spend my time with people who live to care for dogs. 
There's nothing better in my book. 
Maybe it's time you joined me?

2. Dove Lewis Emergency Animal Hospital


Run for the Love of Dove~ June 9th~
So, this one I've actually completed, but I figured that it deserved a place on my list any way.  Technically, it was during my summer vacation so it counts.  Plus, Dove Lewis is one of my favs and I plan on helping at other events this summer. 



Salem Harvest-  Sign up for a harvest or two! Then, use my portion of fruit to preserve and give it away to people around me.  ooooo....it would be fabulous if it was apples!  I can smell the applesauce already.

"With more than 3,000 registered volunteers, Salem Harvest is one of the largest all-volunteer harvesting organizations in the state. The non-profit, grassroots organization connects farmers and backyard growers with volunteer pickers to harvest fruits and vegetables that would otherwise go to waste. The group was established in January 2010 and is currently managed by a six-member steering committee." http://www.salemharvest.org/index.php

**Side Note:
Murphy- this list would be typed much faster without you licking me the entire time. Geesh!

3. Chelsea Hicks Foundation-
Helping kids?!  This sounds like a fun way to work with kids through my summer months. 
Hospital Helpers
Chelsea’s Closet visits Randall Children’s Hospital at Legacy Emanuel and Doernbecher Children’s Hospital. Volunteers help with set up and clean up, help children select costumes and accessories, and assist with crafts, snacks and the costume parade. You may volunteer as often as your schedule allows.

4. Oregon Food Bank: Food Repack
"You might be surprised to learn that about 1,500 volunteers visit Oregon Food Bank each week! Food repack volunteers help with the most fundamental part of our mission – getting food to the people who need it most. Many donations need sorting, repacking, labeling or additional processing before they are ready to be sent to hunger-relief agencies. That's where you come in! Help us prepare food to be distributed through our network to hungry families." Oregon Food Bank

5. Portland Fruit Tree Project: Harvest Party
"Portland Fruit Tree Project is a grass-roots non-profit organization that provides a community-based solution to a critical and growing need in Portland and beyond: Access to healthy food. By empowering neighbors to share in the harvest and care of urban fruit trees, we are preventing waste, building community knowledge and resources, and creating sustainable, cost-free ways to obtain healthy, locally-grown food. Because money doesn’t grow on trees… but fruit does!"
Portland Fruit Tree Project

This one might be a great birthday party for me!  I love a party with a purpose.
Check these projects out and then join me in filling your love bucket up too.

No comments:

Post a Comment