Friday, July 5, 2013

Sparkle in Progress-Year One

I am a work in progress...
Aren't we all?!
Sitting here I think about myself last year-
wanting to change something in my life, but scared to step out alone.
It's easy to make up an excuse to not do something when you're alone.
Especially when it feels uncomfortable,
because having a companion to drag along seems better. 
Really? Dragging someone seems better?!
Well, I used to think so. 
But it's really hard to sparkle while dragging dead weight.
Geesh! That just turns into fake sparkle. Pretend sparkle.
Putting on your moms makeup as a little girl, sparkle. 
It's all sorts on wrong.
Lipstick all over your face and your stuffed animals.
Eyeshadow plastered, caked,
somewhere in the vicinity of your eye lids, or cheeks, or forehead.
It doesn't sparkle...or does it?
That little girl had a few things going for her. 
She was a risk taker.
A bit of a rule breaker too,
because you know that her mom hadn't given her permission.
But that little girl, oh man, she was going for it! 
She was going to add her own kind of sparkle and prance around
like she's competing for Miss America.
She popped on those old tap dancing shoes that her great aunt had given her,
(way too big) and clickity-clacked her way into those judges hearts.
Click.
She danced.
Clackity.
She twirled.
Clickity.
She spun. 
Heck, she sang her own shows tunes!
"I'm a Yankee Doodle dandy. She's my Yankee Doodle joy!
A real live nephew of my Uncle Sam, born on the Fourth of July!"
Oh, and did she smile! 
Then when her performance was over,
she looked at the judges...Snuggles, Princess, Melinda the Bear...and...Mom?
She giggled nervously.
She knew that she was in trouble for the makeup.
But then...magic.
The judges applauded!
One was brought to their feet even!
Giggling too!
Oh, the little girl giggled a little too. 
And then, a jeweled crown was placed upon the girls' head,
by the best judge and told, "Lori, you sparkled!"
Ah. Finally.
Sparkle doesn't have to be perfect.
You don't even need a plan!
All you need is heart and determination to be the best you possible. 
I'm not there yet...not by a long shot, but I feel sparkly.
I feel it, not in the expected places like my heart (though it's there)...
I feel it in my feet after baking all day long.
I feel it in my hands after twisting ties on a fence.
I feel it in the people I'm with. 

Today as I reflect on my journey over the last year,
I encourage you to try something, anything really. 
Let that little girl (or boy) dance.
Sing and clickity-clack their way in the world.
And if you must, and I do, sing at the top of your lungs!
Mine will be some kind of show tune.
What will your song be?
Heck, I'll even sing with you until you break out on your own! 
But sing! Dance!
And above all else, let your sparkle out into the world. 
Together we can illuminate the good.
Sparkle on.

1 comment:

  1. I'm looking forward to the coming year (decades) of your sparkle...and one of these dance/singing shows!!

    ReplyDelete