Thursday, June 13, 2013

Run Dove Run!

Ah Sunday morning...my favorite morning, especially on a bright, sunny, yet chilly Portland day.
I love it when my biggest decision of the day is whether to start the day with coffee or a mimosa.
Of course, at 7:30 all I really want is coffee...but maybe a mimosa after cheering on hundreds of runners.

Volunteering fills my heart with joy and I enjoy going someplace new and meeting like minded people devoted to making our community a better place.  The goal was to raise money for Dove Lewis' Stray and Wildlife program.  And raise money they did...$37,000 to help animals in desperate need.  Oh how I love that!


Another thing that I love, is my dear friend who show up to run in support of something that I love.  That day, while waiting for my volunteer instructions, I looked over and saw Scott, registering for the race!  Thank you Scott!  Definitely my favorite runner of the day...maybe next time I can coax a few my of my runner friends to join.  I don't run, but I'm a really good cheerer on-er. hehe
After getting some needed instructions on how to handle the people that we encounter at the road blocks, I headed out to my spot...in the middle of the industrial zone.

At first this spot may seem a little rundown...but then look at it again. 
There is beauty is everything. 
In fact, how cool is it that the graffiti says "dogs"?! 
Okay, I'm not sure if that's what it really says, but that's what it says to me.
Every thing is about dogs.


With my coffee in hand and the sunshine in my face, I was able to handle all of the people that I had to break the bad news to...















Almost every conversation was like this,
"Good Morning! (smile) I'm the bad news barer today...
yes, the road is closed, but only until about 10 am."
99% of the people were tolerating the news, and were understanding...
1% was rude and abrasive...
but I've dealt with rude and abrasive a lot in my life and I've learned that,
1) they just want to yell,
2) they want to be heard while yelling, and
3) a smile and an understanding look is the best defense, always.

The rude and abrasive make me giggle as they leave and the guy that day, gave me a story to tell all day long.  He was mad because he just went to church and now he can't get the bleep-bleep home.  How dare we not bleep-bleep-bleep let him get the bleep home, right the bleep now! hehe...I think he missed the message at church that day.
But nothing, nothing could take my focus away from cheering on the runners...
oh and their humans too. (Go Scott!) 
Enjoy all of the paws running to help Dove! It makes my heart happy and I hope yours too!
 It's a family affair!  I love it!
 Go Tri-pod!! Whoop! Whoop!
 Gotta love the focus on the pup!
That's what it's really about anyway.





I call this a PERFECT morning!
Beautiful weather, loving hearts, and happy smiling pups faces...
Thank you Dove Lewis for letting me join the fun,
and I can't wait for the next volunteer opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment