Saturday, June 15, 2013

My Dad and His Squishy Heart




"The apple doesn't fall far from the tree."
I'm not sure who originally made that statement, but just like most cliche' statements, they're used because there's a lot of truth in it.

In my case, I know exactly where my love of animals comes from...my parents.  But in honor of Father's Day, I will focus on my Dad.

He might look all tough (nah), but he has the squishy heart of someone who loves animals.

Sorry Dad, the secret is out...though you can deny it, the proof is in your life. hehe

My Dad:
  • carries a camera in his truck to take pictures of yards he likes, but also takes pictures of goats, llamas, and cute dogs.  Like this little cutie from the other day...looks a lot like Murphy!  Hmmm...reminds me of a little girl who would buy disposable cameras to take pictures of all her doggy "friends"...
  • has let his daughter bring home stray animals her whole life (you too Mom!)
  • understands that vacations include his daughters' dog.
  • has been known to feed his lunch to animals along his route.
  • is a carnivore, but can't think of where the meat comes from without losing his appetite.
  • carries extra peanut butter and jelly sandwiches because there's a llama that LOVES 'em.
  • always has a bag of dog biscuits to greet pups at the houses he delivers.
  • he hates the moles that ravage his yard, but can't bring himself to actually kill them when he has a chance.
  • makes squirrel houses and bird houses, and pretty much any kind of house to keep an animal warm and safe.
  • couldn't put the cap on my chimney because there was a nest of birds in there. Actually, as annoying as they were, I couldn't do it either.
  • keep the fence in his field low so that the deer family and their babies can jump over it easily.
  • Loves his yard, but loves his gdoggy Murphy more, so he...
    • wrestles with him on the floor,
    • makes sure that the splashy pool has clean water,
    • identifies and makes a plan for places that Murphy can dig (and not destroy his plants),
    • has left the trench path that Murphy created 3 years ago throughout his yard (Murphy's own agility course),
    • doesn't make the "pruning" of his plants a big deal...even though Murphy doesn't know what he's doing.
Thank you Dad for spit shining my show boots,
watching every horse show I was in,
and coming to each choir concert...no matter how many show tunes we sang. 
But mostly, thank you for knowing how important animals are to me and supporting me always.
I love you Dad, and your squishy heart!
Happy Father's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment