Friday, September 27, 2013

Circle of Trust

 












I remember a couple years ago making the statement, "I'm good. I don't want to meet anyone new. My circle of friends is perfect, just the way it is." Of course, at the time it was perfect. I really wasn't ready to let people into the protected, safe world, that I had created. It was created out of necessity, and perfect in it's simplicity. Plus, at the time it was all I needed. I had too much to handle and trusting new people was a challenge...potentially painful. I couldn't handle any more pain.

 But even when I said it, I knew or hoped that wouldn't be the case forever.
"Heal the past,
Live the present,
Dream the future."
I hoped for a future where people were kind.
A time when I could step out again
and be the Lori I once was.
I really liked being her.
She giggled, belly-laughed,
and even snorted a time or ten, at a joke.
She sparkled.
I really missed that in my guarded world.

So, what happened to make this guarded girl step out?
People.

The kind of people that knew kindness and gave it away, freely.
The kind of people that looked around them and saw needs to be met.
The people who greet you with a smile and accept you into their fold, nothing asked.
That was comforting.
These people created a new world for me.
A world where even if it's pouring down rain, scorching hot,
muddy, ground so packed with rock or clay that you can't dig, or a perfectly blue sky...you can't imagine being anywhere else.
They don't really know it, but they helped me trust again.
It happened quickly...they made me feel safe.
They gave me a new extended family.
I love them all and would help them with anything.
Because as my original "circle of trust" knows, once I let you in, you're in.
Man, that sounds a lot like a border collie I know.
Wonder where he picked that up from?
The only difference is that I don't growl...not often anyway. ;)

So, who are these amazing people? 
You've seen their pictures,
you may even know their names,
But you can be guaranteed that they are all a part of
Fences For Fido.
They don't just build fences.
They take a broken, battered hearts and make them whole again.
Like mine.
They made me sparkle brighter than ever.
They made me, well....a better me.

So thank you all, from the little pieces of my broken heart.
You may have not known, but with each fence, each smile, hug, and twist of the tie, 
you helped put the final pieces of my heart back together.
And even better than that...I see you sparkle bright with me.
Just follow that sparkling smiles and hugs in the pictures,
and feel the love that they give.
These people are experts at love.

No comments:

Post a Comment