Monday, September 16, 2013

Promote Love


People spend a lot of time griping
about what they don't like about the world, people or things in it. 
I have to admit, that I too sometimes fall into the grip of the gripe.
It can be difficult to avoid. 
It's easy to gripe, but it never, ever makes me feel any better. 
In fact, I often feel worse. 
That why here on my blog,
I only like to promote the positive...the things that make our world better.

To me, the simplest things make the biggest impact.
Kindness.
I think kind people get a bad wrap...
people sometimes act as if kindness makes you weak or if anything, a pushover.
To me, kindness is the exact opposite. 
Kindness=strength 
It takes strength of character to look into someones eyes
and see a need.
It takes a gentle word or touch to make someone trust you with their weakness.

I've known many people who use fake strength and the power of intimidation to get their needs met.
That's a temporary fill.
Nothing enriches the soul and leaves a lasting impact, like kindness.



 
Are you thinking of someone who showed you kindness?
Not the person who was kind because they wanted something in return, 
but they were kind because, well...just because.
I've been lucky.
I have the greatest example if kindness around me.
She is the epitome of kindness.
Always the person to give a loving smile and a gentle heart...
My mom.
Now mind you that I have the best parents in the world.
No, seriously.
I know that people say that, 
And I'm sure that those parents are outstanding too...but mine, well they're my favorite.
There's a reason that this year is their 40th wedding anniversary.
But more on that another day.

My mom.
The other day she was shopping.
Normal shopping day.
As she entered the security guard said, "Hello! Good morning." 
My mom, "Good Morning! How are you?"
Now the guard had done this to every customer...
The surprising part...my mom was the first to smile and respond...it was almost noon.
They talked for a bit.
The lady said that she smiles and greets every person, but rarely gets a reply or even a simple smile.
Are we so egocentric that a simple smile is too much to give away?!
I shiver at the thought, and pray that isn't true.
If I have anything to do with kindness and love, that will not be our world.

Kindness isn't weakness...no way!
It takes a strong, secure person to care...step out of their own needs and fill another.
So today... Say hello to the person at the door greeting you.
Talk to the cashier and ask them about their day.
When they person cuts you off, just breathe...take ten if you have to.
Hug your parents if you're lucky to have them near.
And for goodness sake...
SMILE!!
So simple, yet so overlooked.

No go out there and promote love.
Together we can make an impact.
It may be small, but not to the one that needs it.

Hugs,
Lori

1 comment:

  1. Great post. Couldn't agree more. Kindness attracts kindness.

    ReplyDelete