Sunday, September 22, 2013

German Pancakes-Chambers' Style

German Pancakes.
Dutch Babies. 
Puffed Pancakes. 
Saturday Morning Special.


Whatever you call them,
I just all them delicious. 
They're a pancake, but with a crunchy edge that my brother and I would fight over.
As a kid, we would see the pie plates out and know that it was German Pancake morning. 
In our world, there wasn't a better breakfast than that.

While visiting my dear friend in Seattle, I thought that I'd test these pancakes out on a new audience. Though I had taste-tested (and still do) these often, there's really nothing more enjoyable to me than watching someone else try something I've made. I live for it.  So I had a captive audience that I knew would be honest...brutally if needed. 6 & 4 year-olds tend to be that way.  Plus, I could show my friend how crazy easy these are to make! And they are crazy easy, but the hungry mouths don't need to know that.

Ingredients:
4 eggs
1/4 tsp baking powder
1cup flour
1 & 1/4 cup skim milk- 
        if you don't have skim, it's ok. Just add 1cup milk and 1/4 cup water...
        it's a little trick that I've learned.
Butter

***Easy vegan substitutes: Use Bob's Red Mill Egg Replacer, almond or soy milk, and vegan butter.  Still works very well and yummy too.  Also, shhhh....no one will know the difference.
 
Toppings:
Any pancake toppings you LOVE!
The Chambers Way:
-Syrup
-Lemon Juice
-Powdered Sugar

Directions:
You can make this in two 9 inch glass pie plates or a glass 9 x 13 pan.
I'm sure you can cook it in other pans, but this is what I use.
Go for it and let me know what else works.
The key is a hot pan and a hot oven.

1. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees and place your baking dish in at the same time. You want your baking dish to heat up with the oven.

2. Mix all ingredients in a bowl.

3. When the oven and baking dish are heated, take the dish out and place a pat of butter in the hot pan. The butter should sizzle, if not place it back in the oven until the butter has melted.

4. Pour the batter into the sizzling pan and immediately back into the oven.

5. Bake for 15-18 minutes depending on pan size and oven.

6. When the edges are crispy and remove from the oven.

7. Serve immediately. 

This won't be a problem, because your kids/family/loved ones
will be hovering around the kitchen because of the delicious smells.

To serve this in the classic Chambers' Style, you will make a puddle of syrup on the pancake, then drop lemon juice into the puddle.  Finally, top with a sprinkle of powdered sugar.  Dig in and I promise, you'll love these and make them often.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I can tell you that while growing up in Germany, I never came across a pancake looking like this but they sure do look tasty!

    I notice that you haven't blogged in a while. Please tell me you're still sparkling somewhere offline

    ReplyDelete