Wednesday, September 4, 2013

The Impact of Little Things














I've lost track of the years now.
But I continue to carry the note with me, wherever I go.
It's in my wallet.
It's just a piece of paper,
folded into a little bundle,
Given to me on the last day of school...years ago.
But to me it's so much more.

It's the reason that I wake up at 5:30 am, 
coach volleyball, 
basketball, 
and all the million things that teachers do everyday.
It's a reminder of impact.

Written years ago by one of my students...
I read it and cried...not because it was sad, no...
I cried because of it's kindness.
I cried because I had no idea of the impact I had.
I cried because I wish I had known...

See, this girl was quiet.
She wasn't the type of student who drew attention to herself 
or demanded the intense interaction that other students did.
She sat, did her work (mostly), and was sweet.
But I wish I had known.
I wish I had known that this was one of the first stable years 
where she stayed in just one school.
I wish that I would have drawn her into more discussions.
I wish that I had known more about her hopes and dreams.

But, man...she knew me.
She wrote about the stories I told, 
and about my stupid, yet surprisingly funny jokes.
Mostly, she just thanked me.
She thanked me for a great year and for being her favorite teacher.
See, I wish I had known.

But I do now.
Each year I read her note at the beginning of the year
to remind myself of the impact we have on our students.
Most of the time we have no idea...
I always tell my students that words are powerful,
so be careful with them.
They can break or build a person.








 
But her words build me up.
I might start off the year reading her note,
but it makes an appearance often,
especially on the really challenging days when I question everything about my job.
In those moments I take out her note...
all crumpled from years of use...
I read and remember.
I don't teach for money.
I don't teach for control.
I don't teach for the praise.
I teach for students like her.

Tomorrow as you move through the world,
Remember that you are seen...for the good and bad. 
Make it a day that your impact on the world will leave a good mark,
an impact worth writing about.

Thank you Savanna, for teaching me...again and again.
With Love,
Ms. Chambers

No comments:

Post a Comment