Tuesday, December 3, 2013

A Lesson from Grandpa

(My mom and Grandpa)
I don't remember much about Grandpa Gordy.
He passed away when I was just 4 years old,
but I like to think that he's always with me.
And mostly, I hope that he's proud of me.


There are certain places in Portland that immediately make me think about him.
To me, there are many iconic locations...
One- Portland Outdoor Store.
When I walk or drive by this location,
I feel like I've stepped back in time.
The time when all I did was live and breathe horses.
Every moment thinking or riding...animals have always been my world.

A time when Grandpa Gordy worked downtown.


You see, whenever I help others, I think of my grandpa.
It's funny when you feel like you know someone, but in reality, you don't.
I don't remember sitting in his lap.
I don't remember the sound of his voice.
But I do remember the stories.
The stories make me feel that he's alive
and with me.
I've heard them my entire life.
While listening I can see his crooked smile
and almost hear a laugh...

There are many stories that I adore, but there is one that has always meant something extra special to me.
It exemplifies generosity and the need to help others.
And it lives inside of a ring.

No, this isn't Lord of the Ring or anything like that.
It's just a ring.
A simple...
not something flashy, kind of ring.
It's old, vintage...little tiny stones...and a clouded ruby. (my birthstone)
Just about everything that I love.
Including a story.
Stories are important to me.
They tell me more than anything else.

I've admired this ring for as long as I can remember.
Whenever I see it, I'm reminded about what's important in life...
...people and their journey through life.

It was given to me last year from my mom.
A huge gift, because anything from her dad is of utmost importance.
I actually don't wear it...some day I may,
but it's fragile and needs some tender love and care from a jeweler.

Until that day I will just look at it and remember a little story that goes something like this...
Grandpa Gordy worked at Kelly's Olympian in Portland.
Everyday he was there talking and sharing stories with patrons of the bar.
Frequently he saw a lady come in at the end of the night.
She had a rough life, and though he didn't know for sure,
it was known that she was a prostitute.
Grandpa would talk with her while others would shy away.
It was a different time, but grandpa was also a different guy.
He didn't judge.
He just listened.

I don't know how long she came into the bar before that night.
And I guess it doesn't really matter anyway...
One night she came into the bar and asked my grandpa for money.
She needed to get out of town and didn't have any.
She offered the ring as collateral for the loan.

He knew that the ring wasn't worth the amount of money he gave her,
but he did anyway.
As they traded ring for money,
she said that she would be back for the ring and pay him back every cent.
Somewhere in his heart he knew that she wouldn't be back,
but he didn't care about the money.
A person in need, is a person in need. Period.
Locals knew this to be true about him.
I just love that.

Grandpa never knew what had happened to the woman.
Did she make it out of town?
Was she stopped by the man that left bruises where everyone could see?
An unknown.

I like to think that she made it out
and was so happy that she couldn't bear to step foot back in her old life.
Sadly, that probably wasn't the outcome.

Most of the people that knew my Grandpa have passed, but his memories still live strong.
I share his love and care of people to my students,
in the hope that they will look out for others in the world.
Or maybe they'll just share the story with someone else.
Whatever the method of storytelling doesn't matter...
what matters is the message of love.
Listen to each other with love.
Love each other without judgement.
Help each other without an expectation of repayment.

I think it's an awesome message...
Don't you think?
Let's all try to be a little more loving out in the world.
Imagine what it could do.
I think it would make the world sparkle a bit more.
:)
I love this! (And all of the people in my path.)

No comments:

Post a Comment