Sunday, December 8, 2013

The Ruby Year

I adore rubies.
Not only is it my birthstone, but I love the color.
Red is a soulful, deep color with so many various connotations.
Today it's all about love.
The deep, connected, for a lifetime committed kind of love.
I've personally never known that strength of love,
but I always hope to find it.
I do know what it looks like though.
It's waking up early to prepare coffee.
Making their favorite meals after a cold December day of work.
It's laughter- hearty, belly laughter.
Or a giggle at their stupid joke, because you think they're adorable.
Supporting their decisions, 
even when it's purchasing an alien or phone booth or
...whatever silly thing they've found.


It's a look, a smile, a way that you talk to one another.
Holding their hand through a crowd, 
taking the front so you can protected them from anything in the path.
It's genuine.
Simple.
Pure.
It's my parents.


40 years ago today, my parents made a committed for life.
Though many, including myself, have severed those ties,
theirs marriage is still strong.
Actually it just gets stronger ever year.
I can see it. 
And it's the most beautiful thing to witness.

December 8, 1973 was not the beginning of this love story.
Nope.
Their story began many, many years before.
My parents met in 8th grade at the
community center in Sellwood, Oregon.



My mom was (still is) a giggly teen running around the center after school.
My dad was a goofy (still is) rough and tumble kid causing mischief with his brothers.
I picture the scene like this...
My dad chasing my mom around the room, trying to get her into a voting booth.
 My mom just laughing and laughing as her best friend Kathy 
tried to "save" her from that crazy Chambers' boy Joe.
Oh those Chambers' boys!
I don't really remember the details of the story, but I just picture love.
And after 50 years together, my dad is still chasing her around and she's still laughing.
I love that.
That's love.
Simple, yet not so simple at all.

I feel so lucky to have parents that genuinely enjoy being together.
They really know how to love.
No matter what happens to or around them, you can always count on one thing...
They will head into every firestorm of life together.
A united front.
Protecting and loving each other through it all.
What a love.

Happy 40th Anniversary Mom and Dad!
Thank you for your love.

No comments:

Post a Comment