Thursday, December 19, 2013

Lemon Poppyseed Bread- Vegan Style














Lemon Poppyseed...I'm not sure what I really love most about it.
Is it the lemon?
Is it the crunchy seed?
Is it both?
Or is it that it always reminds me of people that I love?
Yeah...that's it.












One of my favorite places to go on the Oregon Coast is Cannon Beach.
I head there with my favorite girls to hangout and catch-up.
Before we head back to our real lives,
we stop by the local bakery to purchase treats to take home.
Some loaves of haystack bread and lemon poppyseed muffins are always in my bag as I head home.
Both are delicious, but the muffins have a crunchy lemon icing that make it my favorite.

Since I miss my friends, I have decided that I need to make something to help me
Vegan Lemon Poppyseed Bread
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 egg equivalent with Bob's Red Mill Egg Replacer
1 cup sugar
2 tbls vegan butter or vegetable shortening
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp lemon extract

1/3 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup oil

Lemon Icing Ingredients:
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp lemon extract
water to dissolve and make glaze

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
1. Sift to combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
2. Use a mixer to blend together the egg replacer, sugar, vegan butter or vegetable shortening, vanilla, lemon extract and lemon juice in a medium bowl.
3. Pour wet ingredient into the dry ingredients and blend until smooth.
4. Add oil and mix well.
5. Pour batter into a well greased 9x5-inch loaf pan.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until a toothpick stuck into center of the cake comes out clean.
7. Let the bread cool completely before adding the lemon icing.
8.Let the icing set up before slicing.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment