Sunday, December 1, 2013

One Dollar at a Time

One dollar.
Seems simple enough.
A dollar.
Heck, there are entire stores dedicated to selling things for just one dollar.
Though it is just a dollar, pocket change really,
I think a dollar can do a lot when put into the right hands.




A dollar at a time.  That's what I aim for when I have a bake sale.
One dollar...or two...or 15...it all adds up to one thing.
Dollars joined together can really make a difference.
And in this case, each dollar added up to a fence of freedom for a dog.
Space to safely run. 
A simple request, but when your life consists of what is at the end of a chain, even simple things can seem unreachable.
When I bake, I think about the people that I'm making it for, 
because each person is special and important to me.
And I think about the dogs that it will help.

To me, baking is a joy and the ingredients that I use are just as important.
All summer I pick local berries for jams and pies.  
So when I make a pie, I know that each berry was picked at perfection...and with a lot of love.  
I really try to pack as much love as I can into each one. 
Hopefully you can tell the difference love makes. :)
 Mixed Berry Pie
Above: Gluten and Vegan Pumpkin Pie on the left, Vegan Only Pumpkin Pie on the right
Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies- a favorite treat. 
 
I love having a car filled with treats for people. 
It's the best feeling knowing that people will have happy hearts and tummies.
My mom even joined in the fun by making her famous Cinnamon Rolls.
She doesn't make them often, but she will always make them for my heart project of FFF.

The day before Thanksgiving was exhausting for me...
...so many pies and treats to make.
But all of the work crammed into 3 days was absolutely worth it.
When I finally took a moment to count up the donations, I was shocked.  Not only had I met my goal of raising enough money for a fence, I had exceeded. Nothing feels better than knowing that together we can make the difference in the lives of dogs.

So now with Thanksgiving in the past, what is a girl to do?
I'm sure you know what I'm doing...
Yep, planning treats for Christmas.
I definitely need to adapt some recipes to be completely vegan,
but this kind of work is energizing.
Even when I'm exhausted,
I just picture a dog waiting at the end of a chain for someone to come along and release him.
That is my motivation.

Now the big question...what treats to make?
:)  It's a difficult job, but I'm so thankful that it's mine.
And I'm thankful for you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment