Sunday, July 20, 2014

The Unexpected Book Gem

#1- The Unexpected Book Gem
The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared
When I first started listening to books,
I stuck with authors that I knew or books that I had heard about before.
Then this book was recommended to me
based on my previous reading choices.
I stared at it for a while,
and then I dove in!
I'm so glad that I did. :)

Centurions fascinate me.
My own grandma is 103 years old, 
and it's always amazing to me to think about all of the 
major world events that she has been alive through. 
She is a history book,
but her stories are unedited and bias.
Of course that makes for very interesting views.
This book also provides insight into the expansive life that 100 years brings.

Allan Karlsson isn't thrilled to be in a retirement home.
And he's even less thrilled that they are throwing him a birthday party for his 100th birthday. 
Cake, singing, and reporters...definitely not what he wanted.
He was never one who enjoyed all the attention that parties bring.
Allen figures, "What's the big deal? So what if I've lived for 100 years?!"
He wanted more and an escape from the party he never asked for,
so Allen set out on an unexpected adventure. 
He climbed out the window of the retirement home and started walking...

And that began a true adventure into the world of Allen Karlsson.
With each step, turn, and seat he took, I eagerly went with him.
Jonas Jonasson weaves the past and present of a seemingly ordinary life,into extraordinary things. 
Allen's life has had it all...drug dealers, world travel, presidents, dictators, and atomic bombs.
Allen was an old man that I'd enjoy sharing a park bench with.
He's the type of person that I'd share a drink with,
and hope to have in my train car as we zipped across Europe.

The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared,
is an unexpected trip through a truly amazing life.
Allen becomes a centurion that I would hope to be.

Need an adventure in your life? 
Go with the 100-Year-Old Man.
You won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment