Monday, December 10, 2012

Always Bring Dessert








Whenever I'm asked to bring something to an event,
I'm always the first one to chime in that I'm bring dessert. 
Not only do I LOVE making dessert,
but I'm going to tell you a not-so-big secret. 
Ready?!?

I hate cooking.
No really...I hate it.
Plus, I really don't know what to bring to an event.
I love to eat fabulous cooking
and can really appreciate the light or bold flavors,
but as for me...cooking stinks!
Yes...I can cook, but I do not find joy in it.
Yes...I can make specific dishes that are delicious, but I don't like to do it.
It's a necessity, because no one can just eat baked goods.

I'd rather be mixing beautiful berries,
or luscious chocolate over low heat until it's creamy
and thick enough to pour into a cream pie.
Yummm....
To me, all of that work is worth the beauty that is.....
DESSERT!

Plus, when I think of making dessert, the possibilities are endless!
This time, I'm going to bring a little summer into the cold winter nights.

Marionberry Lemonade Bars
Adapted from IMPROV Kitchen

Ingredients:
For the Crust:
  • 9 T. (1 stick + 1 T.) butter
  • ¼ c. sugar
  • 1 c. flour
  • 1 t. vanilla extract
For the Filling:
  • 2 cups Marionberries frozen from the summer- thawed
  • ¾ c. sugar
  • c. lemon juice (about 4 lemons)
  • 3 egg whites
  • 1 egg
  • 1 1/4 c. flour
  • pinch of salt
powdered sugar for dusting on top

Preheat oven to 350º F. Line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper so you can easily lift the bars out once they've cooled. I generally grease and flour the pan liberally and have an easy time popping the bars out.

To Make the Crust:

This is super simple. Cream the butter and sugar together with an electric mixer, then add in vanilla. Add flour until just incorporated. Make a ball with the dough and place it in the baking pan.  Press the dough with your hands until it evenly covers the bottom of the dish. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes until slightly golden brown.

To make the filling:

Thaw the marionberries, I just place them in the microwave for about 2 minutes.  Using your mixer again, place your berries, sugar, egg whites, egg, lemon juice, flour, and salt into the bowl and combine. Pour the mixture into the crust.   It will be a bit runny, but will thicken up...but these are not as firm as other types of bars. Bake for 30-40 minutes depending on the sized baking dish and the thickness of the berry portion.  
Let the bars cool to room temperature and then place in the refrigerator for 4 hours. You can place them in the freezer if you need them sooner but refrigerator is best. Cut into bars or as I did, into bite-sized pieces.  Dig in!

 For many fun variations of this recipe and other great ideas,
head over the IMPROV Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment