Sunday, December 2, 2012

Gingerbread Treats for Murphy

Every dog needs some sweet treats. 
Especially for a special event or occasion.
Something really extra special for the healer of my heart.
 
Guess who?!
Gosh, I just love this adorable face...
...and he deserves an extra special treat for his 3rd birthday.
Though Murphy may look like he would eat just anything,
he is really picky.
In fact, each time I give him something new
...he has to look at it for awhile before he will even taste it.
Now, I'm talking about steak, sausage, and even bacon...
Most dogs would gobble it down before even thinking about it,
but not my Murph.
Sniff...sniff...sniff..
Therefore, I was a little worried about making him a birthday treat.
My worry was unnecessary. 
He LOVED these treats!
 
Gingerbread Dog Treats
Recipe directly from Pretty Fluffy
(Which is just one of my favorite sites to get fabulous doggy ideas!)






Ingredients
1 and 1/4 Cups Water
1/4 Cup Olive Oil
1/2 Cup Molasses
2 Tablespoons Honey
3 Cups Organic Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cloves
1 Tablespoon finely chopped Fresh Ginger




Directions:
1. Get two large bowls. In one bowl combine the water, olive oil, molasses and honey. In the second bowl combine the flour, cinnamon, cloves and finely chopped ginger.
2. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet. Mix until all are combined.
3. Divide the dough into two, wrap and refrigerate.  Though the recipe stated that it should be for at least 3.5 hours...I only chilled it for 1.5 hours because I didn't have time.  It seemed to work just fine.
4. Once chilled, remove dough from fridge and roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness
5. Pre-heat oven to 350 F.
6. Use your cookie cutters to cut out the biscuits. I chose to use my favorite doggy shapes to make these treats.

7. Place on baking tray. Bake for 10-15 minutes.







Murphy was really curious about this tray of cookies before I put them into the oven. He almost took one of the uncooked treats straight from tray!

 


 
Of course, the cooked treats were even more tempting...
...especially when I pulled out some Brown Cow plain yogurt. 
Dipping treats into yogurt seemed like the perfect idea for Murphy's special day.
The only challenge was making the yogurt hard enough to not get on random things around the house. So I put them into the freezer for a little bit and that seemed to do the trick. 
Enjoy my sweet, sweet Murphy!

**Please go to Pretty Fluffy for other fabulous hints and tricks for making these.**

No comments:

Post a Comment