Thursday, December 13, 2012

Lessons from Buffy


Ugh! I really can't stand wimpy female characters and they're everywhere!!

As an English teacher it's a struggle to find strong female characters in novels targeted toward young adults- teens, up until more recently. Thank goodness for the Hunger Games...because if I had to read one more love-sick, solely dependent on her boyfriend, girl, I might just lose it! Strength in you, to save you...not some rich vamp- though I do enjoy a good movie, but that's far from reality.

Now, I too have a dream of a independently rich man coming into my life and whisking me away to a tropical island...but seriously, if he started bossing me around, I'd have to take his money and go Buffy and Veronica(Mars) on him.


Strong women, aren't portrayed in society as much as I would like.
Strong, does not imply cruel or manipulative...

Strong is believing in yourself.

Strong, is trusting that you are enough to fill your world with joy. When we expect someone else to fill our lives, it will never be truly filled. It might feel that way for awhile, but it's YOU that can actually change it.

All of the things that YOU ARE, makes you...the person you need.
To me, I am love.
I am a believer in God.
I am a caretaker.
I am a daughter, aunt, friend, teacher, crafter, baker, reader, writer, thinker, and dreamer.
I am, me.

I really love me. :0)
Shouldn't you love all that you are?

As we dive head first into the holidays, between the beautiful religious services, time with family and friends, remember to thank all of them for making you the strong, healthy, person that you are today.

And if those events are really rough times for you...I recommend watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer before the evening. If she can take on a gang of vamps, you can probably make it through dinner.

Loves,
Lori

P.S.- Thanks Kim for the inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment