Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Lessons from Downton Abbey

Downton Abbey.  Even Kristen Bell's dogs are addicted to this drama.
It's a show that could be boring, but it's not...it's intriguing.
The characters are unique, manipulative and mean...really mean. And they say things that you generally only think, right in the persons' face.  In their FACE!
Who does that?!?
They do.

Downton Abbey

Now you may think, "Whoa, what could anyone possibly learn from a show like this?"
Well, let me tell you.
Most things in life have lessons...this show has 5.




Top 5 Lessons from Downton Abbey

#5 Great meals take great preparation:
This is probably why I rarely have good meals that I create in my own home.  I have AMAZING meals in friends' homes and in local restaurants, but I don't enjoy cooking much so I don't...often.  I'm lucky if I make one dish each week!  Each night I just open up the refrigerator and scoot stuff around until I see a little inspiration.  Or I just make Mac 'n Cheese...sad, but true.










At Downton Abbey, meals are events and presentation is important.  But, the truth is that the staff works all day preparing these meals...I don't have a staff.  I guess that's for catering company's and very special occasions.  The idea is nice though.

#4 Breakfast in Bed:
The married women receive breakfast in bed, everyday...each day...which I think is a little strange, but I like the pampering. I never have breakfast in bed, unless you consider falling asleep with crackers and eating one in the morning, breakfast in bed. hehe...not that I've ever done that....(cough). But seriously, that sounds really nice. So don't wait unless a special day, instead surprise that person on a random day and make them feel extra special.


#3 Dress up for dinner: 

Now, really...in my world it seems that I dress down for dinner and you're lucky if I'm not in my pj's by dinner time.  But I like the idea of getting dressed up for fancy meals and making it feel like a special occasion.  Though, not so pretentious and stuffy...I'm sure that my fancy meal would have quite a bit of laughter too.



#2 Stand up for your beliefs:
This show is set in a time when women could not vote and people had rigid expectations for others. Stand up for what you believe in, even if you're the only one. 


#1 Always, always, put your children first:

Ethel has to make some difficult decisions regarding her son.  I don't have kids, but I can't even imagine having to do something that breaks your heart, but you know will give your child what they need.  Can't. Imagine. 
It's our job to care for them...prioritize correctly.

See...it's so much more than just a show,
it's a lesson in life.
Cheers!
Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment