Sunday, May 19, 2013

Light Shines Brillant in PDX

Nothing makes my heart soar like a night filled with love.
Tonight it was a love-fest for the Ethiopian Orphan Relief, Inc,
with the Lights of Hope Auction.
Not only did the people of Portland make the difference in the lives of children in Ethiopia,
but they also learned how far a little love can go when we join together.
I'm always so impressed with how far a little money can go.
Every day I listen to children complain about what luxuries they don't have and watch them toss healthy food straight into the bin.  It pains me.  The only positive is that all of the leftovers at our school go home with one of our teachers to feed their livestock.  It helps to know that the food isn't a complete waste. But when you see children so thankful for every morsel in other countries, I just wonder where we've gone wrong in our own society.  


Though those thoughts flooded my mind, they were not the problems that we helped that night.  Tonight it was all about the precious children and making their tummies full of nutritious food.

I'm not sure if I can really wrap my head around how far each dollar can go to make a complete change in lives...but here is a little glimpse at where the money directly goes from tonight's auction.
Two of these numbers were shocking to me...shocking in a wonderful way!
"English 6th grade text book $0.44" and "Biology school book $1.81". 
The textbooks purchased here in our country are so expensive! 
Each book used here in the United States ranges in price from $40.00-$80.00
...now that is shocking. 
I love that money can be used in such an economical way
and that the children are so thankful for each gift of education.
My heart puffs up with joy.

 
 
 
 

Love these very special girls and their gorgeous hearts!


Michael just wanted to make sure that they got his dinner order correct.
One of my little creations to help raise a little money.
Oh Happy Day!
 Roy and Ryan
This giraffe received a lot of love tonight!
Pucker up buttercup!
Kristi and Michael
Kelly and Kristi
The light of hope for those little lives, definitely reflected beautifully throughout the night.
And the beneficiaries were the children...what could be better than that?!
Nothing in my mind.
Reach out your heart, the impact is incredible.

No comments:

Post a Comment