Saturday, October 26, 2013

Oh Starbucks...what have you done?















I don't get it.
Why change a good thing?
So, I understand change if it makes something better,
but this is definitely not better.
Nothing is better without a pumpkin scone or pumpkin bread.
I judge the beginning of fall by the amount of
pumpkin items I can find, and consume.
But when I arrived at Starbucks for my first dose of pumpkin overload,
I was extremely disappointed.
Yes, they had my beloved Pumpkin Spice Latte.
But a pumpkin scone? No.
Pumpkin bread?
No, not a crumb.
So what is a girl to do?!
Well, after the tears dried,
I stepped into my kitchen and worked out my feelings by baking.
I think the bread that came out of the oven was as close to perfection as possible.
But I guess you'll have to make it and try it yourself.

Vegan Pumpkin Bread


This bread is just like Starbucks used to make it, 
but actually it's way better than that. 
It's perfectly vegan too!

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
  • Egg replacer for 2 eggs (I use Bob's Red Mill Egg Replacer)
  • 1 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil 
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • water to mix sugar into a glaze

Instructions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
  2. Prepare a 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan by spraying with non-stick spray and lined with parchment paper.
  3. In a large bowl add all of the dry ingredients; flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, salt, and spices. Sift the dry ingredients together. 
  4. In your stand mixer, blend together the egg replacer, the oil, and the vanilla. 
  5. Once the liquid ingredients are mixed well, begin to add the flour mixture in.  Make sure that you mix in gradually.  Stir until the lumps are out. 
  6. Pour mixture into the prepared loaf pan. 
  7. Sprinkle chopped pecans on top of bread. 
  8. Bake for 50 - 60 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean when poked in the center of the loaf. 
  9. Cool for approximately 5 minutes in the pan, and then turn the pumpkin bread onto a cooling rack. Allow bread to completely cool before you glaze and slice.
**Bob's Red Mill Egg Replacer is a great substitute for vegans and vegetarians, but be aware that it does contain gluten so it's not good for all substitutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment