Monday, October 14, 2013

Stand up

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. -
Martin Luther King, Jr.

The other day I stood in awe of one of my students.
It isn't often that I see a kid that is self-confident enough to stand up for what they believe.
 Especially in middle school.
So when I have a student that not only says what they believe,
but approaches others in the hope to change their mind, I stand in awe.

The other day, a 6th grade girl overheard a group of 8th grade girls talking about how mean and vicious pit bull dogs are.  She was much smaller than the 8th graders and determined.
I saw her stand up quickly and march over to that group.
She was already sharing her opinions as she approached.
“Pit bulls aren't mean or vicious! It’s their owners who don’t train them well or treat them badly.  No dog starts out life mean, it’s what humans do to the animals that make them react in different ways.  Treat them with kindness and they will be kind.  Animals only do what they need to protect themselves. That’s just nature.”
I stood in awe.
Proud to know that there will always be people of all ages using their voices to help animals.
 
I was not that kid.
I wanted to be, but I wasn't.
Instead I was the kid, who stood by, shocked at what was happening, but too scared to step out.
It wasn't until I was much older…a senior in high school, that I was brave enough.
Not completely brave to stand up to a group, but brave enough to stand up for one.
One dog.
That was the year that I found my first rescue…Quincy.

He was a little 10 month old puppy that my dad told me about.
The dog had been living at a welding company,
a forgotten and unwanted birthday gift to the owner’s son.
Instead of taking care of the pup, they left it there.
The workers feed him and gave him water, but on the weekends…he was alone.
Very alone.
Living in a concrete cell, a shed.
No light, no grass, no love.
My dad didn't have to tell me much about him.
My heart ached for him before I even knew him,
and the moment I saw him, he had to be mine.

He was a little mud-covered pup,
who sat at my feet begging to be love.
I looked him over and knew that day was going
to be the last day he needed to beg for love from me.
For the next 16 years he was my constant companion.
He was my heart.

I’m thankful that I was strong enough to stand up to the old,
grumpy man that day and take the puppy with me.
I’m glad that Quincy wasn't going to live around him anymore.
That he would be kicked or hit or left alone without human contact.
He would be loved.
And he was, until the last moment of life and in my heart forever.
Every dog should have such a life.

So now, I stand in awe.
I wished that I had the strength of this little girl.
She wasn't afraid.
She believed in what she said, and she was right.
That strength from someone so young,
makes my heart soar.

I hope for a day when all animals will be loved.
The day when people won’t abuse,
Instead love will be the prevalent response to others.
But until that day,
I will have hope in our future generations.
Kids are strong in their opinions.
They stand up for injustice and have the strength to change in ideas of others.
They’re cool like that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment