Sunday, January 19, 2014

Baked Donuts- Simply Vegan

It's time to make the donuts!
I mean really?
Who doesn't love donuts?!
Over the summer I found a brand-new donut pan at a garage sale.
Which is my favorite way to find "new" baking dishes...
I just wait until a fade finishes being the "new, hot" thing, 
then I swoop in and purchase those items from them.
It's a perfect relationship...
for me. 
As you know by now, 
I can't just make something according to the recipe. 
I need to mix it up.
And in this case, 
since these donuts were going to a fence build in McMinnville, 
I wanted to make these vegan.

Baked Donuts-Simply Vegan

-Chocolate Dipped 
-Vanilla Dipped with Sparkles
Modified from Mom's Need to Know


INGREDIENTS (yields 12)

Donut batter:
  • 2 cups flour
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3/4 cup coconut milk
  • 1/4 tsp lemon juice or white vinegar
  • 2 egg equivalent of Bob's Red Mill Egg Replacer
  • 2 tbsp melted vegan butter
Vanilla Glaze:
  • 2 cup powdered sugar
  • 3 tbsp coconut milk
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla
Chocolate Glaze:

  • 2 cup powdered sugar
  • 3 tbsp coconut milk
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla
  • 2 tbls. Hershey's cocoa powder


  • DIRECTIONS:

    1. Add lemon juice or vinegar to coconut milk (buttermilk substitute).
    2. Preheat oven to 425. Spray donut pan with non-stick spray
    3. Combine dry donut ingredients in large bowl.
    4. Add coconut milk, egg replacer and melted vegan butter.
    5. Stir just until well mixed.
    6. Fill each ring of the donut pan about 2/3, try not to overfill!
    7. Bake about 8 minutes, until tops rebound when pressed.
    8. Leave donut in pan for about a couple minutes.
    9. Remove from pan and set on cooling rack.
    10. In a small bowl just big enough to dip donuts, combine glaze ingredients and stir until smooth.
    11. Dip top of donut into topping of choice.
    12. Hold above bowl allowing excess glaze to drip off and back in the bowl.
    13. Place donut on wax paper or return to cooling rack.
    14. Add sprinkles, if wanted, the glaze dries quickly.
    15. Wait a few minutes for the glaze to set.
    According to the taste-testers at the fence build for Fences For Fido, these were a tasty treat.
    I think that donuts will be a part of my treats in the future too.
    Of course, I will be trying different flavors!  Who wants to eat the same thing every build?!
    Well, the volunteers might, but I definitely like to mix it up.

    ENJOY!!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment