Friday, January 31, 2014

Puppy Bowl 2014

Super Bowl Sunday
I know that I should care about the game,
even on some microscopic level,
especially since the Seattle Seahawks are playing...But I don't.
Not even a little bit.
I enjoy football.
I do, but only if I'm actually at the game.
The crowds, music, the entire atmosphere helps me to also become a cheering fan.
The only thing that I am excited about,
only happens on Super Bowl Sunday...
The Puppy Bowl!
Who couldn't love it?!
I guess heartless people might not,
But I don't like them anyway.
It's puppies!
Puppies make me happy,
And puppies playing together...well, that's just perfect!
So what could make the Puppy Bowl better? 
Well, cookies of course! 

If you're looking for an easy frosting, try this Royal Icing recipe. 

adapted from Food Network

  • 1 pound (3-3/4 cups) powdered sugar, sifted
  • 4 teaspoons powdered egg whites 
  • 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • water to thin
Mix all of the ingredients together using an electric hand mixer, until the icing is smooth and thin enough to be pressed through a pastry bag with a writing tip. 

Now, don't worry Vegans. 
I have a perfect alternative for you too!
I wouldn't forget you. :)

Vegan Royal Icing

Recipe and directions from Your Daily Vegan
http://www.yourdailyvegan.com/2012/12/20/the-ultimate-vegan-sugar-cut-out-cookie-with-royal-icing/

  It’s also off-white in color, but you can add color to it if you like.

  • 1 cup organic powdered sugar
  • 2 tbsp of non-dairy milk
  • 2 tsp of light corn syrup
  • 1/4 tsp almond extract
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Place sugar in bowl, add non-dairy milk and whisk like hell until smooth.  Add in extracts and corn syrup.  Whisk some more.  Icing will be smooth, shiny, and a little runny.  You don’t want it really runny or the icing won’t stick to the cookies.  Icing will be hard with a shiny finish once dry.  You can either dip cookies into icing, or use this icing in a pastry bag.  Easy.

I really like to dip my cookies into frosting and let the excess drip off. It leaves the cookie with a beautiful smooth surface for addition decoration or just as they are. 

Now go! Make some of your own. 

Use your favorite sugar cookie recipe and frost away. 

And look, you still have time to make some Puppy Bowl cookies of your own! 

Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment