Sunday, April 28, 2013

Charlie Shuffles: observation of a grumpy man

I love people!
I just do.
Why?  People are fascinating!
Young, old, tall, short...it doesn't really matter...I'm curious about their world.

Especially the elderly.
I LOVE 'em!
Sure, I like them if they're the sweet old ladies with the cute scrunchy faces.
I want to be one of them when I'm older!

But I REALLY love the grumpy old men. (Walter Matthau)
They crack me up!
Their grumpy scrunched up faces, angry at whatever is happening in the world around them.
Hehe...that's weird huh?
Yeah...I know.



Most days I enjoy watching people and get joy from their lives, but Charlie is different.
It's been years since I first saw him...about two and a half years.  I really only remember this because Murphy was just a trouble-making pup and we drove to the dog park everyday. 
No, really EVERY DAY. 
We would spend hours...no really, HOURS there playing and playing and playing. 
I was looking for joy because my world was upside-down,
and I needed to wear out a seemingly endless supply of Border Collie energy. 
It worked out well for both of us. 

I don't remember when I saw Charlie for the first time.
Oh, and I should tell you that I don't know Charlie's actual name...I just named him Charlie.
He looked like a Charlie to me.
Is that weird? 
Oh well, I am weird, and I wear my weirdo badge proudly! :)
If you think that's weird, than hold onto your figurative hat, I'm just beginning.

You see, Charlie is a grumpy old man and I see almost daily.
He walks (shuffles) through the city,
                hands stuffed into his pockets,
                              and a cigarette dangling from his mouth.
He shuffles...snow, rain, pounding rain, sunshine...it doesn't matter.
Charlie just shuffles along.
He shuffles through the morning,
shuffles through noon,
and shuffles through the afternoon.
Puff...puff...puff.
Sometimes he has a cup in his hand, sometimes he doesn't.
Shuffle.
I simply adore Charlie. (Grumpy Old Man)

Because he's there daily,
or because I'm a writing teacher,
or because I teach reading,
or just because I am a weirdo,
I have created a little story about Charlie.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charlie Shuffles

About two years ago, Charlie's son took him to the doctor.
Charlie HATED going to the doctor and had been refusing for years!
Due to the family pressure, and the constant nagging from his son and daughters,
he gave in...reluctantly.
Charlie was NOT happy, but he went anyway.

"FINE!" Charlie grumbled to his son. "I'll go.  But I. DON'T. LIKE. IT!" He slumped into the passenger seat, face scrunched, and chin set. "Stupid, idiot doctors." Charlie grumbled low under his breath. His son sighed.

After a physical with the doctor, his son was called into the exam room.
"Sir, your father is refusing any additional services and advise. Would you come back with me?" the nurse pleaded with Charlie's son.

Arriving the room, his son knew what was in store.
"Stupid doctors! They don't know a THING!" Charlie argued hunched in the exam chair.
"Dad, come on...what's going on?"
"This doctor," Charlie gestured quotations around the word doctor. "This doctor is trying to change MY ENTIRE LIFE!"
"Dad, it can't be that bad..."

The doctor explained to the son that Charlie's tests weren't great, and that he would need to change a few things in his routine and lifestyle it lengthen his life.

"Hogwash!" announced Charlie.

The doctor and son spent the next few minutes trying to convince an extremely stubborn man. 
As they were giving up, Charlie looked up at them, jaw tightly held.

"FINE! Just shut up! Here's what I'll do...I'll walk everyday.  Exercise (as you call it.)" mumbled the tired, scrunchy Charlie. "But I ain't giving up my booze! And I ain't giving up my smokes!"  The son tried to jump in to say something, but Charlie wasn't done. "Shut your mouth! I'm not done! Fools.  That's it. No more of this crap! Take me home." Charlie shuffled out of the room. "Idiots."

The son shrugged at the doctor and mouthed "Thank you" as he hurried after his dad.

So, now Charlie shuffles through the city every single day.  His family thought that Charlie would only follow through with it for a couple days, but they forgot who they were dealing with.  Charlie.  He might be a little pissed off about having to go to the doctor, but he loved his family.  He doesn't show it outwardly, but his family knows that he does with every shuffle he takes.  They wish that he would curb the smoking and drinking, but they also know Charlie.  "That ain't happening!" 
They'll just take the little victories where they can get 'em...and they adore Charlie.

And Charlie adores them. So Charlie shuffles.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And I adore Charlie too, though he doesn't know it.
Keep on shuffling old chap and someday maybe...just maybe, we'll chat.
Just promise not to yell at me!                                                                Old Guys Rule

No comments:

Post a Comment