Monday, April 28, 2014

Apple Pie Bread-Vegan

In my family, there is nothing better than my Mom's apple pie.
She has this magical way of transforming simple ingredients
 into the most delicious thing you've ever tasted.
It's a beautiful mix of tart apples, cinnamon, and sugar,
that makes even those that don't like apple pie, 
re-think everything that they've ever though about pie.
Yes, it's that good.
It's so certifiably good,
that people (me) 
dream about the beautiful thing that is a classic apple pie.
I knew that if I was to ever call myself a baker, 
I too would have to master the gorgeous, simple beauty of my mom's pie.
It's taken a few years, 
but I feel that I can now say that I have it down...well, almost.
Somehow, her pie still tastes like Heaven on Earth to me. 

So I thought...
and I had a little time to think while sick this past week...
What if I made a bread that tasted like a little slice of pie?
Wouldn't that be fun and delicious?
Well, heck yeah it'd be fun!
But you be the judge,
does this taste like apple pie to you?













Apple Pie Bread (Vegan)

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3 egg equivalent with Bob's Red Mill Egg Replacer
1 cup sugar
2 tbls vegan butter or shortening
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup oil
2 granny smith apples, sliced
1/4 tsp cinnamon

Icing Glaze Ingredients:
1 cup powdered sugar
water to dissolve and make glaze
Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
1. Slice apples and sprinkle with 1/4 tsp cinnamon
2. Sift to combine flour, cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
3. Use a mixer to blend together the egg-replacer, sugar, vegan butter, vanilla, and lemon juice in a medium bowl.
4. Pour wet ingredient into the dry ingredients and blend until smooth.
5. Add oil and mix well.
6. Layer 2/3 of the sliced apples in the parchment paper lined 9x5-inch loaf pan.
7. Pour batter on top of the apples.
8. Place the remaining apple slices on top of the batter. Optional: Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar (Not really optional in my world)
9. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick stuck into center of the bread comes out clean.
10. Let the bread cool completely before adding the glaze. Or opt out of adding a glaze...I did. It smelled too good to wait to glaze it.
Let the glaze set up before slicing. Or not.  :)
Either way, enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment