Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Yellow Dog Project- Curious?!

Good.  Be curious. 
Want to know new things...expand your knowledge base. 
Today, I learned something new too.

Did you know that October is Adopt a Shelter Dog Month? 
Best month of the year to change the life of a pet! 
Actually, every month is the best month, but heck, I'll pick any month to encourage adoption.
It's the best decision that I've made...each time...every time.
I love my shelter, abandoned, abused...
amazing...loving...joyful...best friend a girl could ask for. 

Shelter dogs are the best, but sometimes they come with baggage...but don't we all have a little baggage to carry?  Murphy is constantly teaching me new things, and today I found a way that I can help others understand him.


I can't even express how much I love this idea. 
Murphy has always been scared of new people...especially if those new people reach for him. 
He doesn't trust people easily. (Which I totally support...trust is giving too easily sometimes.)
In fact, it takes a very, VERY long time and it takes a very patient person to wait for him to be ready for new hands.  Murphy's best friend IO, and her human best friend, Kathy, met with us for play dates for about 5 months before he asked her for a pet.  Yes, five....months.  Fortunately, she knew this and waited...and waited...extremely patiently for him to be ready.  Now, he asks for pets every time. 

Believe me, the wait is worth it, but most people aren't willing to put in the time. 
Plus, they feel that EVERY dog should love them.  Immediately.
Murphy is not every dog, he's a Murph.

It's really difficult to explain to people that he needs space because most people think that he should be super friendly and love them.  I try to explain to people that it's not about THEM, it's about the comfort of my dog...some people get it...some don't....and some are just idiots.  Nevertheless, it's my job to protect my Murphy and now here's another way to communicate that to others...a yellow ribbon. I wanted to make him a vest, and I still might, but now I have an organization to promote, that is trying to get the word out too.

We're a great pair and I love him unconditionally and he loves me unconditionally back. 
Murphy is a shelter dog. He has issues...but so do I. 
He has a yellow ribbon. 
I need one too...There are many days that I need some space. 
Now, I just need to spread the word and inform people. 
Boom.  Done.  :)

Remember, if I were talking about a child, people wouldn't look at me so bizarre about a stranger touching a child. Ever heard of "Stranger Danger"? Well, my dog obviously has...strangers = danger.

So if you see a yellow ribbon on a dog, you know what to do.  Give the dog some space, and please, please...don't glare.  Especially if the owner reminds you that their dog needs space...this happens to me.  Don't act like the dog will attack you.  Just walk on normally and allow the owner to do their work.  By you just acting like a normal person, it will help the dog.

Just this small act can help a shelter dog trust humans in this crazy world.  We all need help through the crazy, don't we?

No comments:

Post a Comment