Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Eyes on Red Velvet

Whatcha looking at?
Oh yeah...creepy eyeballs....
Eyeballs gross me out...they've always have.
I really don't know when they became creepy,
but I don't like anything that has to do with them.
Maybe it's because I don't see well.
Maybe it's because I think that I'll go blind....someday.
Or maybe it's because a doctor that I worked with loved to show me eyes...yeah, that's probably it.

When I was in high school, the vet clinic that I worked at was always trying to gross me out with eyes.  There were many things to tease me about. In fact, one of the veterinarians actually sewed an eye into a tumor that was removed, to gross me out!  He even added eyelashes! Actually, it was the eyelashes that made me not feel nauseous. :0P  Somehow, all of the eyeball jokes helped to ease my queasiness that I felt for them.  So much so that when my niece wanted to make eyeball cupcakes for Halloween, I actually thought it would be cool.  A gross kind of cool, but cool nevertheless.
 
Red Velvet Eyeball Cupcakes
Cupcake Ingredients:
2.5 cups flour
1.5 cups sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cocoa powder
1.5 cups vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk
2 large eggs
1 oz red food coloring
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp vanilla

**Set aside vinegar and soda...you'll add this right at the end.

Frosting:
- 7 ounces marshmallow cream
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons milk

1. Prepare two muffin trays by lining them with cupcake liners.
2.Sift all dry ingredients- twice.

3. Whisk all wet ingredients together until it's really lovely and red :0)

4.  Slowly add in the dry ingredients and mix well.
5. Now, the magic...mix the vinegar and baking soda...bubble, bubble...then add it into the batter.  This will make the cupcakes moist and fluffy. 
6. Bake cupcakes for 18-20 minutes. 

7. While the cupcakes are baking, make the frosting.  I used my Marshmellow Frosting...Yumma!

Frosting:


 
1. Mix all ingredients together until smooth. Add extra milk if necessary to get the correct consistency. And YES, we lick the spoon, or knife rather, in this house. :0)

2. Frost cooled cupcakes.
3. Add red frosting gel....purchased.  Yes, I took the easy way out.  Then add the creepy part...chocolate eyeballs. 


Put all of the eyes together and blah...             
eyeball madness!!! Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment