Thursday, October 11, 2012

Pear + Apples = Sauce

It's been a busy week...but canning is relaxing for me.
I know...I weird.

I have a bucket of apples and a handful of pears. 
What better way to spend my day than making applesauce.
There are two recipes that I want to try.
One recipe is perfect for this adorable, smiley little girl that I know. She could use some all-natural, no additions, pear and apple goodness.
The second recipe is perfect for a cold winter day when I need some apple love with a hint of cinnamon.

Pear-Applesauce
Adapted from Simply Canning

Ingredients:
5 quarts peeled, cored, and sliced apples
1 quart peeled, cored, and sliced pears
1 cup water
4 Tbls. fresh lemon juice

Directions:
1. Pour water and lemon juice into a large pot.
2. As you peel, core, and slice your apples, place them in the pot with the lemon/water to prevent browning.
3. Bring the apples/pears to a simmer and cook down until it has the correct "saucy" consistency.
4. Canning: Fill sterilized pint jars to 1/2-inch headspace, then process in a water-bath canner for 25 minutes.

Applesauce
Recipe and Directions From Local Kitchen

Ingredients:
6 lbs local apples
6 cinnamon sticks
1 and 1/4 cups freshly pressed apple cider or juice
4 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp sea salt (I omitted this...)

Directions:
(Directly from Local Kitchen)
1. Measure lemon juice and cider into a large stockpot.

2.Peel, core and quarter apples. As you peel them, drop into the pot and toss in the lemon juice/cider to prevent browning.

3. Toast the cinnamon sticks: Using kitchen tongs and a heavy duty oven mitt, hold the cinnamon sticks, one or two at a time, over the flame of a gas range, turning frequently, for about 1 minute, until they darken and smell fragrant. Try not to burn them – if you hold them too close to the flame, they will flame and burn. You can also toast the sticks by laying them directly on a (clean) electric burner for about 20 to 30 seconds per side.

4. Add the cinnamon sticks and salt to the pot. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Stir well, then lower heat as low as it will go, partially cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the apples break down to a saucy consistency (1 to 2 hours).

5. When the applesauce has achieved the desired consistency, taste and adjust salt if necessary; remove cinnamon sticks.

6. To can, fill sterilized pint or half-pint jars to 1/2-inch headspace. Process in a water-bath canner for 20 minutes.

My house smells amazing and I just love hearing the pop, pop, pop of the jars sealing.  Though this process took me all afternoon, the process was easy and the reward is great.  I can't wait to share these lovely jars with those I love.

And I can't wait to make more!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment