Sunday, October 7, 2012

Crayon Art with Jorden


Crayons...I just love them.
I love the smell mostly.
Each fall, I purchase new boxes for my classroom.
I'm not sure why I do, since most of my students are too "mature" for crayons.
But I need some kind of excuse to purchase them...so that's it.
Then I can take them into class and open the boxes,
taking in all of the lovely scent of new crayons.

http://weheartit.com/entry/16510849#My students aren't as into the new boxes of crayons as I am,
so I've been amassing a small collection of them.
Last spring I found a fun use of crayons on Pinterest and showed it to my niece Jorden.

Shockingly...it's taken us this long to find a time to complete it. 
She's a busy gal.  :0)

I was expecting a tough project, because when I saw it I thought that it could be difficult to get the crayons melted. Also, I was unsure about how the crayons would stay on the canvas...thankfully it was a really easy, cool  project. 




Supplies:
Canvas/es- Primed and painted(if wanted)...definitely primed.
Crayons
Hot glue gun
Hair Dryer
Parchment paper (to catch drips)

Directions:
1. Choose crayons and peel all of the paper off of each crayon.  This is a little time consuming, but just turn on the music, then sing and peel away.

2. Hot glue the crayons onto the canvas in any pattern that you would like...we found that the more crayons that you use, the more mixing of colors and cool melting designs it creates.

3. Place the canvas at an angle and line the surface with newspaper or parchment to catch the drippings.
 
Just ignore the painter's tape holding my dryer together...I know! I know...but it works!

4. Use your hair dryer, set at low and hot, then start at the top of the crayons and begin melting.  You will find that your dryer heats in different areas, so you'll need to adjust as you go.  Other than that...have FUN!  It really is fun to watch the drippings and move the drips around the canvas.

Tada!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Now Murphy can get the attention that he's been begging Jorden for throughout the project.
 
I really want to try this crayon art next.

No comments:

Post a Comment