Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Joe's Meat Palace


Okay...that's not the name, but it sure could be!
This is the type of restaurant that was created for a man like my dad.

Ox.
Simple name, but flavor, now that's a powerful, beautiful force in this spot.
It's a meatastic locale.
It's a meat-extravaganza!
It's a meat party in your mouth!
Meatapoluza!
Get it, the place is a palace of meat!
(And apparently of exclamation points too...geesh!)

Now, that all of the vegetarians have left this blog, I have the correct audience.
Meat lovers unite along MLK blvd,
to enjoy a culinary dream of local, beautifully prepared carne.
As you can see, I'm not afraid of a meal o' meat.
In fact, I know that I'm my father's daughter,
because I can and do enjoy beef and pork in many forms.
But I am picky about it.

I want my meat to be happy. I like to picture the meat grazing in a grass pasture, mooing the day into being. I grew up knowing the names of the cows that were then served at the meals. Yes, it might sound strange, but they had a nice life. I want all animals raised for consumption to have a good, solid life before it's made into a gorgeous meal.


See, that's not so bad! Good life during and after...and man o' man...this was a tasty afterlife!


I had no real idea of the amazing meal that I was going to be gifted with that evening. But it is definitely going to hold a taste memory for me. For me, when I eat something memorable, it goes into my taste memory bank.

Locked away for me to pull as needed...it's also a good way to remember the places that must stay on my repeat business list.
Ox has a permanent spot there.
In fact, before I made it home,
I was recommending this restaurant where meat dreams are made,
to the one person who I know would love it...

...My Dad.
What can I say?
The man loves meat.
Not only loves,
but can appreciate a good meatastic meal.
So dad, this one was made for you.

And to get you making a reservation soon, enjoy a look at this meat spread. Delicious.
 
Now, if there is a vegetarian still here with me, don't worry, there are things here for you too.
The butternut squash soup was outstanding.
Plus, the sauteed mushrooms were perfect and I could have made a meal with just that and empanadas. Oh, I can't believe that I haven't mentioned the empanadas yet?!?
Mouthwatering. Period.

The crunchy, flaky crust reminded me of the ones that my host-mother in Spain would make. See, taste-memories...I hang on to those forever! I can still remember back to 1997 and those wonderful empanadas every Thursday...perfection.
Ox definitely got those right, along with everything else.

Perfect.
Delicious.




And the best part?
Okay, it's the best part for me,
was that the chef/owner Greg showed me pictures of his two beautiful mastiffs.
Anyone who loves their dogs that much, has to be good.
No question.
Loves their dogs = fabulous human = amazing contribution to the world.
Alright...I may have gone too far...
nah.
I'm pretty sure that I've got that one right.
Plus, my Murph agrees. I'm right.
Now, go! Scoot! Make a reservation!
Eat and live a food dream, in reality.
Cheers!

 Greg and Gabi


http://leeksoup.wordpress.com/2012/04/20/ox-restaurant-portland-food-adventures-hot-hot-hot/

No comments:

Post a Comment