Sunday, August 25, 2013

Goodbye Summer. sigh.


So long.
Adios.
Hasta la vista.
I don't do well with goodbyes.
Never have, never will.
I have no enthusiasm for goodbyes.
When I have people or things in my life,
I like them to be around forever.
I like to think of myself as a cheery barnacle.
Not the kind of barnacle that you want to knock off with a stick (I hope...),
but the kind of barnacle that is a cohesive unit...
mutually beneficial.
I provide you with joy, treats, a couple giggles and a bit of sparkle and you
...well...you can just be you.
Nothing is needed in return, because I have decided to trust you...
let you into my guarded world.
That's enough.
See that crusty barnacle with a little glitter, that's me.












Hi there.
But I'm a realist.
I know that things can't last forever in this life...even those that I love.
But I'm also a dreamer and hopeful for a future filled with joy.
When I lose a beloved person or animal,
I find comfort in thinking about them romping around heaven
waiting for me to arrive someday. 
My heaven has a beautiful farm
where my horses graze in the prime of their life,
and my dogs splash and run too.
Beautiful picture, right?



But some goodbyes come more frequently.
Though it may seem insignificant, saying goodbye to summer has it's difficulties.
If you're rolling your eyes at a teacher moaning and whining about having to go back to work, well, that's not going to stop me. 
It's difficult.
See, teachers live in a different world 9 months out of the world.
From the moment we arrive, to the time we get in our cars at the end of the day, someone needs something from us. 
every. moment.
every. day.
Most people at work don't have people talking to them as they're racing to the bathroom...
sometimes to the point that they continue to talk through the bathroom door.
At most jobs you don't have 36 people talking and asking you questions at the same time...
every. day.
all. day.
Now I'm not saying that summer isn't a fantastic perk,
but really it's an essential break that helps us face the intensity that our job requires.
We're on...all. the. time.

So when summer comes to an end, I mourn.
I wave goodbye to silence.
I say, "Arrivederci!" to finishing a cup of coffee while still hot
...or even warm...or at all.
Goodbye conversations that happen with one person at a time.
So long late night walks and 3 am strolls.
And "Au revoir" to being able to go to the bathroom any time that I want.
Sigh.  That one is difficult.
Goodbye Summer.
See you in a year.
Sigh.
I miss you already.

No comments:

Post a Comment