Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Vegan Blackberry Coconut Crumble Bars

Vegan.
The "V" word gets different reactions from people.
For some...I'm not sure what they think that it's going to taste like, but by their facial expressions it must be bad.
Really bad.
I get that. 
I've tried many different vegan desserts with varying degrees of enjoyment.
But for others, their faces light up, knowing that soon they will have a treat.
And I hope that when they see that the treat was made by me,
they know that not only will it be vegan, but it will also be delicious.
See that is my goal...deliciousness for everyone.
No matter what dietary needs you have, everyone needs to enjoy a treat!
I mean, really.  If everyone can't enjoy, how much of a treat is it? 
Not much of one in my book.
So that has brought me here.
I'm adapting recipes into vegan treats.
My goal is to take my tried and true, delicious recipes
and make them into vegan desserts that are just as good...or even better!
Now doesn't that sounds delish?
Yep, I thought so.













Vegan Blackberry Coconut Crumble Bars
Recipe from Yummy Mummy Kitchen
1/2 cup sugar plus 1 tablespoon
1.5 cups flour (you can substitute gluten free)
1 cup quick oats
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup coconut
1 cup virgin coconut oil, solid (NOT melted)
12 oz blackberries (about 2.5 cups)
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Lightly coat a 8" square inch baking dish with cooking spray.
Line the bottom with parchment paper and flour.

1. Stir together 1/2 cup sugar, flour/oats, baking powder, and coconut.
2.  Stir in coconut oil. Press half of dough into pan.
3.  In another bowl toss berries with remaining tablespoon sugar and lemon juice.

4.  Pour over dough.

5.  Crumble remaining dough over top.
6.  Bake for 40 minutes until top is golden brown.

7. Let cool, slice, and share with those that you adore.

These little beauties will make anyone swoon with bliss.
Even those die-hard "Ewww, it's vegan!" folks will be wanting another one. 
The recipe may be vegan, but there is nothing that will make you wish had animal products.
Each bar is a bite of summer love to enjoy.
Now don't you want to try one?
Yeah,I knew it!
I can convert even the really scrunched up faces of non-vegan eating folks.
Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment