Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Independence Day

I know...that was last month.
But sometimes I go places and have experiences 
that need to sit and marinate until I'm able to do something.
That was Independence Day for me.








Sure, it's all about Bar-b-ques, family, friends, 
and loud obnoxious fireworks that terrify my dog...well that was last year. 
Now, Independence Day is about 5 dogs and their freedom.
It's amazing what a fence, a simple fence, can do for dogs.
Instead of small, cramped spaces, that caused fights and harsh feelings in the pack,
they had dust flying under their feet.
When I see dogs living in small kennels,
I am reminded of road trips with my brother.
Not. Good.
And yes, at times there were tears and bloodshed...it was necessary. 
Sometimes (all the time) cramped spaces brought out the worst in us. 
We would try...actually try to do whatever it took to push the other one over the edge.
It was a game.
And the winner? Well, it depended on the day. 
But the tears, oh yeah, they were generally mine. 
Brought on by either being "picked on" or out of guilt from retaliation. 
I always felt guilty...always.
Like Catholic guilt.
But not enough guilt to avoid it the next time.
See, these are the memories that spring to mind when I see dog kennelled or chained...
Me, my brother, and one backseat...nothin' but trouble.

This time, that memory was spurred on by meeting five pitties around the 4th of July.
I only snuggled a couple of the dogs, but they,
like each dog I meet on a fence build,
hold a little piece of my heart.
And watching them run and play, well, that was pure joy.
Pictures are powerful.
The images captured in a moment,
can speak louder than anything actually spoken.
What will images say today?
 JOY
Volunteering to change the lives of dogs, overflows our hearts with joy.


 Creating Friendships...on two and four legs.
BLISS
 LOVE
ENDLESS LOVE
And we love to soak it all in!
Who won't drink in this affection?!
 

TRUST: I'm always struck by this the most.  No matter what our fidos have been through or how little they have interacted with humans, they trust.  Sometimes it takes a little time, but just like I have seen the beauty inside the heart of each volunteer, the dogs must see it too.  They trust us to care and love them...even for just one day.

All volunteers enjoyed snuggling and loving on the dogs one final time before their release.
We knew that once they could run, they would RUN!
Can't you feel his soul in those eyes?

And then, they were off!
Ah, sweet, sweet freedom!
Those dogs definitely knew the beauty of freedom and
will enjoy every inch of it for the rest of their lives.
Now this was the perfect way to celebrate an Independence Day.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment