Sunday, August 18, 2013

Just Beet It

 Or just beat it!
Versions of of "Beat it!" run through my head as I pick out different colored beets.
Michael Jackson
Fall Out Boy

I like these beats...but not others.
See, I'm not really a beet fan.
I know, I know.
Yes, they're good for you.
Yes, they provide vital nutrients.
But you see, I don't really like them.
My mom does though...and so do people that I care about.
So I pickle beets.
I tried a couple different pickling recipes, and liked them both.
But what I like most of all was a combination of both.
Oh no! Am I starting to like beets?!

Spiced Pickled Beets
Recipe modified from Bon Vivant by Candace Shaw

Ingredients:
  • 6 lbs. beets
  • 1 medium onion- sliced
  • 3 cups apple cider vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon pickling salt
  • 1 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 cup water
  • 1 cinnamon sticks
  • 1 tsp. ground cloves
  • 1 tsp. ground allspice
  • Clean, sterilized jars and lids
  • Directions

    1. Cut leafy greens and stems off beets; place beets in a pot.
    2. Cover with water and boil until fork tender.
    3. Cool beets, and remove skin (skin will peel away easily with your fingers).
    4. Slice beets.
    5. Combine vinegar, salt, sugar, spices, and water in the pot. Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes
    6. Place slices of beets and onion alternately into sterilized, hot jars.
    7. Pour vinegar mixture over beets and onions.
    8. Remove bubbles by running a knife around the edge of the jar.
    9. Prepare according to National Center for Home Food Preservation.
    Process the jars in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
    Store for at least a week to allow the pickling to take effect, then enjoy.
    Or if you're like me, give them to someone who will enjoy them.
    But seriously...how beautiful are these?!
    Wow!
    Something this beautiful, must be tasty. 
    I think I might have to give these another try.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment